Pork Hough.

Soldato
I've always seen this, but never actually bought it. I did buy it last night though.
What should I do with it? I understand it needs a long, low temperature cook otherwise it just goes horrible.
It's dirt cheap, so not expecting anything amazing but would like to make something nice.

Soldato
OP
The packet says - Smoked Pork Hough. I'm thinking the best option would be a casserole, but just wondering if anyone else knows of a good use.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Had to look it up :p

Yeah, I had this in France once and they always have them in the supermarchés out there. When I had it, it had been salted or cured, then boiled, and roasted lightly in the oven. The fat had almost completely rendered out, the skin was almost like crackling and the meat inside was so moist and unctuous.

At a guess, I'd put it in a bowl overnight (or up to two days) covered with a rub of two parts salt and one part dark brown sugar. It'll draw liquid out the meat; tip it away and rinse off the salt/sugar. As it's now 'cured', it'll keep in the fridge for a few weeks so you won't need to cook it immediately.

For cooking, I'd simmer it in water with maybe 10 peppercorns and 2 cloves for 2-3 hours, then finish it in the oven not too hot. Paint the outside with a little honey, season with a little salt and roast it for 20-30 minutes or until the honey goes golden brown.

You could probably slow roast it like pork belly as well.

Edit: so it might already be cured. Might just need slow roasting then. Got a pic? :p

Soldato
OP
Jonny comes through, yet again!
I've been wanting to give your curing a go recently so this seems like a good opportunity to give it a whirl. I was even considering making ham with it but I fancy a Sunday dinner out of it so probably going to follow your idea above but will await other responses.

Associate
It's a tough one to work with, it takes ages to cook all the connective tissue down. I use a little bit of it along with cubed rump steak in my chilli, pork and beef kick ass in a good slow cooked chilli.

Soldato
OP
In the end, I salted and scored the meat, pushing garlic into the cuts and put it into the oven at the hottest temperature that it would go to for 25 minutes, then turned it down to about 140c and let it cook for approx 2 hours.
It was pretty good, though quite salty. I either shouldn't have added the extra salt or washed and dried it off before putting it in the oven.
I'd recommend buying it, as it's a fair bit cheaper than your more common cuts of pork but just as tasty.
The one problem though was my roasties weren't as good as they usually are because of the temperature of my oven. I need a split oven ASP!

Back
Top Bottom