Port Forwarding Not Working

Associate
Hi,
Can I state from the outset that I live in a block of flats where we have access to only one ISP, Hyperoptic. Because of this I am stuck with this garbage ISP and cannot move to a better one.
I am configuring port forwarding on hyperoptic ZXHN H298N router. I am running openSUSE leap 15.1 on my machine with apache web server. Port 80 is open on my machine and the firewall has been configured to allow data into port 80. The machine has been tested and the apache server is listening on port 80.
For the router I have (i) used Application -> Port Forwarding ( Application List ) to make port mapping (WAN start and end port - 8080, MAP start and end port - 80). I linked application with relevant LAN device's IPV4 address. The LAN device had also been placed in demilitarized zone and router's Firewall was set to low. Yet when I used online port checker tools the router's port was found to be blocked.
I also used (ii) Application -> NatLoop and Port Forwarding to perform port mapping. That still did not work.
One thing I noticed is that on the router's WAN side IPv4 Gateway is shown as 100.64.217.193 while the public address on internet is shown as IPv4 188.214.13.240. This means traffic is going via ISP router. There is nothing more that can be done on my side. If anything needs to be done it has to be done on ISP side, e.g. enable DMZ for my router on ISP router or open ports via ISP router.
This is the rubbish I received from Hyperoptic when I contacted them:
I am sending to you the port forwarding manual for your model of the router attached. Sadly, as port forwarding is used for the set up of third party devices which we cannot troubleshoot and assist with, as out technical support agents are simply not trained for third party equipment, the manual is what I can offer as help.
For port forwarding you will be needing a static IP address which costs £5 per month as an add-on to your plan. Please let me know if you wish this to be added and I will gladly assist.
The numbskull doesn't even realize that you don't need a static address for port forwarding. Can anyone suggest where to go from here? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
Can I state from the outset that I live in a block of flats where we have access to only one ISP, Hyperoptic. Because of this I am stuck with this garbage ISP and cannot move to a better one.
I am configuring port forwarding on hyperoptic ZXHN H298N router. I am running openSUSE leap 15.1 on my machine with apache web server. Port 80 is open on my machine and the firewall has been configured to allow data into port 80. The machine has been tested and the apache server is listening on port 80.
For the router I have (i) used Application -> Port Forwarding ( Application List ) to make port mapping (WAN start and end port - 8080, MAP start and end port - 80). I linked application with relevant LAN device's IPV4 address. The LAN device had also been placed in demilitarized zone and router's Firewall was set to low. Yet when I used online port checker tools the router's port was found to be blocked.
I also used (ii) Application -> NatLoop and Port Forwarding to perform port mapping. That still did not work.
One thing I noticed is that on the router's WAN side IPv4 Gateway is shown as 100.64.217.193 while the public address on internet is shown as IPv4 188.214.13.240. This means traffic is going via ISP router. There is nothing more that can be done on my side. If anything needs to be done it has to be done on ISP side, e.g. enable DMZ for my router on ISP router or open ports via ISP router.
This is the rubbish I received from Hyperoptic when I contacted them:

The numbskull doesn't even realize that you don't need a static address for port forwarding. Can anyone suggest where to go from here? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

To be blunt, the numbskull is correct, Hyperoptic use CGN, you need a static IP.

You have CGNAT, what you were told is correct. Hyperoptic don't offer a "public but not static" IPv4 option on a residential service. If you can do everything via IPv6 then you don't need the public IPv4.

You could swap the router out and then tunnel to somewhere else but it's going to cost you more than £5 a month to put that together.

Back
Top Bottom