Portable battery powered air compressor?

I use a Makita DMP180Z 18v but already have loads of 18v Makita batteries. Its very good and the body only was about £45 when I purchased it.
I don't have a Makita but a Bosch Drill, I can't see they make a pump using their battery though. They do make a stand unit for £50. USB-C charging. Tempting.

Wait - they do....Hmmmm. But i am not sure this one does auto stop.

Last edited:
It is technically portable. Although driving around with 90 litres of compressed air wouldn't be nice. :p

My point is no one pumps up their tyres away from home unless you got a flat which is when you stick the spare wheel on.

The portable ones are also inherently inaccurate with their readings compared to a compressor.

I do however have no less than 3 "portable" tyre inflators. A ring which doesn't work right now so is purely for inflatables. It is also the second one I have had which broke. I do a lot of track days so it got a lot of use so I would avoid, the missus car has an AA5007 which is good because it is small and can fit in a glove box or tyre well. Billy basic with a analogue gauge all you really need and costs £10 ish pounds. Then I have a Sakura SS5332 which I use on track days. Around 30 notes and digital with auto cut off like the ring but has a much smaller form factor than the ring but equally as powerful. Had plenty of abuse and still works. Even still I will check and adjust with a digital tyre pressure gauge.

That’s a few assumptions right there.

Let’s say you got a flat and changed the tyre…you still would want to pump that up right? Or do you check the pressure of the spare in the boot regularly too?

Without testing every portable compressor on the market, you can’t categorically say they are all inaccurate. You can assume they are, but assume is all you can do.

And using the ABAC PRO A39B 90 CM3 as a comparison, that isn't fair or even remotely what I was looking for or anyone (who doesn't do a lot of track days) would get. It's like someone looking to get a compact camera and I suggest them to buy a Canon R5. It's not relevant or helpful or remotely useful as an answer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom