Portfolio critic

Soldato
I'd like to echo what Limenote has stated; also under experience I felt slightly confused as when the list items were hovered over with the cursor it changed colour and I was expecting that when I clicked it would display work in that area.

I'd also like to say I'm a big fan of re-volt, great work! :D

Soldato
You're using some inline styling? :( Also seem to be doing a lot of clearfix fudging.

Re front end. It looks good but way to many animations imo. I would probably switch it to a one page portfolio scroll to each section and if you insist on the animations then a very (very) subtle parallax background.

Last edited:
Associate
HTML looks very different today than it did when i started out designing websites about fifteen years ago, technology races forwards and we as designers have to catch up which is a good thing it keeps us on our toes but for the lowly freelance designer having the budget to actually spend a decent amount of time developing a website is very limited as the smaller companies or start ups really dont << NEEDS APOSTROPHE have the budgets, this is why I am looking to get into a bigger company to actually see some of my ideas come to life.

Also this is one of the longest sentences I've ever read. Probably needs breaking down.

Soldato
Oh one more thing and this is purely subjective, but I feel that the image of the guy who scrolls in from the left sort of looks like he could be used as a stock image for a mental health or AA service. :)

Soldato
Hi Chris,

I'd drop the animation on the icons on the homepage altogether, I don't think they really add anything.

From a subjective POV as well, I can't help but feel I have to put effort into finding out what you've worked on and what you've done rather than seeing it presented to me on a plate. The main reason for the portfolio is of course to show off the work you've done, and by visiting your site that is the main reason I would be there in the first place.

Last edited:
Associate
During my career I have been a designer and technical artist creating full design documents for games on consoles and mobile phones, also creating a bridge between artist, designers and coders as I have a very technical mind and have written a few games myself in C++ and know a few more programming languages picked up over the years I was made redundant in 2000 from Acclaim and fell into freelancing and have pretty much been busy since.

Another really long sentence there that needs breaking down. I also struggled to find what you'd worked on.

Associate
Looks nice, but 2 things for me.

1. Stop things shaking in my face! especially if they already stand out.
2. the "my work" page, it feels like the sub headings in your intro animation should be links. Just seems a little redundant to then have the exact same text below as links.

Soldato
I like the layout and never seen a portfolio like that (but then I never looked for them before). But it feels like a hassle going through my work sections, I would split it up from individual pieces into a single gallery of related work instead.

Back
Top Bottom