Portugal what to do?

Soldato
Hi,

Planning on going to the Algarve from the 11th to the 21st June.

To ensure we have plenty to do we're planning on using Air BnB and splitting our time between places, like Faro, Portimao, maybe somewhere else and another place, this is where I'd like some advise.

What good stuff is there to do? Tourist like activities, walks, exploration? And splitting the trip up where do you think the best destinations are to stay in the Algarve?

We are thinking of a day trip to Lisbon as well. Trying to keep it cheap, around 350 each for the holiday then if we can make meals now and again that should be dirt cheap compared to here and eat our sometimes.

Any help would be great!

Soldato
I used to live in Cascais, 30 mins away from Lisbon.

I would recommend getting the train from the Algarve to Lisbon, plenty to see and do there. Also, Cascais is a 30 min train ride from Lisbon - lovely there, worth checking out.

IRT costs for meals, Portugal is extremely cheap for this. Expect a 3 course meal with wine to cost 20 Euros if you go to the right places. Tourists traps will be a hell of a lot more expensive.

Within Lisbon, if free is your thing, there are plenty of walking tours that you can (and should as they are pretty good) tip at the end if you wish.

Soldato
OP
My Girlfriend would like us to just fly to Lisbon and get a place there which might be good but it seems like it'd be a stretch to get somewhere good for that many nights under 350 and I was expecting Lisbon to be expensive but if you say it's cheap that's a bonus.

Associate
I spent 2 weeks out there last year, we were staying in a place just on the boarder with Spain. There are some castles to see and lots of very cheap food to eat. I would recommend going to Spain for the day if you can as it's a change and you also get a little different culture.

We were there kitesurfing so didn't do an awful lot else.

Caporegime
Hello, I've literally just done this.

We stayed in the old town of Albufiera, which was ok but not really my cup of tea (Lots of stag/Hen do's and loud late night bars) and then stayed in Lagos which was a bit more chilled (but still touristy) and we had a car to travel around. In the Algarve driving is easy and nothing is that far away.

If I did it again i'd probably stay in Lagos again and then somewhere nearer the Spanish border. Driving to Lisbon will take about 3 hours each way, you might be better off getting the train there in the morning from somewhere like Lagos and at least you could stop and have a beer then.

We went to Castelo de Silves and had a wonder around. Not worth a long drive out, but it's between Albufiera and Lagos so worth a stop if you are passing.. We also went to the Sand Sculpture place because my girlfriend wanted to see it. There was nobody there and though we got some decent pictures it wasn't massively interesting to me.

Also went to 'The Landsend' of Portugal - Cape Saint Vincent.

We ended up spending £500 each whilst we were there (not including flights and accomodation) but ate out every night. Next time we'll do a bit more self catering as their supermarkets such as Continente are really good and reasonable. A large fresh Pizza for €2 and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be honest, if you would like to see places and do things on the cheap - I would recommend Lisbon over the Algarve. If you really fancied a visit, you could get the train for a day.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
My girlfriend can drive but she's a nervous wreck on UK roads and she doesn't enjoy driving as a result, not sure how she'd find driving on roads in Portugal? It's tricky I'm really not sure how to plan this holiday ahhgrr!

Caporegime
If you go to Cafe Ingles in Silves http://www.cafeingles.com.pt/en.html for Sunday lunch you can get a nice English roast and they is usually live music, very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Yep, had a pizza there. It's right next to the castle. Lovely.

Why would you want an English roast in a hot foreign country though? Never understood that. We mainly ate Portuguese dishes, but that lunchtime I fancied a pizza.

The 'Slide and Splash' Water Park was pretty good, we went without kids but very kid friendly. Very safe as well, They do lockers but there was a large grassed area where people were putting down towels and leaving bags unattended. You can even take your own food and drink if you want.

Caporegime
My girlfriend can drive but she's a nervous wreck on UK roads and she doesn't enjoy driving as a result, not sure how she'd find driving on roads in Portugal? It's tricky I'm really not sure how to plan this holiday ahhgrr!

I did all the driving. I heard Lisbon was a bit more complex than the Algarve, but I used Google Sat-nav and it was very easy to get about around there.

If she's anxious on roads she knows, I'm not sure getting her driving on the other side of the road in a foreign country is a great idea though. My girlfriend is the same.

Soldato
Yep "Slide and Splash" near Logoa is good fun, take a picnic and get there early to make sure you get a good spot in the grassed area under the palm trees.

This is a lovely little restaurant right on the beach near Pera

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...Salgados-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

Gale Beach is lovely, rocky with sand, restaurants with clean toilets, showers etc.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...aia_Gale-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

Cheap and cheerful and very handy when you come of Gale beach

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...Pool_Bar-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

We always enjoy an evening out in Vilamoura, don't expect it to be cheap but sit out on the Marina and dream about which awesome boat you will buy when you win the lottery, great for people watching and good bars with sports etc. (lots of golfers)

Why would you want an English roast in a hot foreign country though? Never understood that.

Because I love roast dinner on a Sunday :) and they do a good one, their pudding are also "to die for"

This place is also very good if you like a bit of "live rock" action, good band playing fun covers

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ock_Cafe-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

better if you get drunk and really join in ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How much are the trains from Lisbon to the Algarve?

We stayed in Albufeira last year and did that Zoo Marine and a safari, it was great, however my girlfriends does like city brakes better, now I think Faro sort of qualifies and going out of the city on adventures is good, I know Portimao is like Faro not sure about anywhere else other than Lisbon. It's very hard trying to accommodate 2 people's preferences and make a compromise.

Back
Top Bottom