Positive Input Ventilation opinions please?

Soldato
Our house is approximately 200yrs old and stone built, we've just had a damp proof course installed, and I'm looking to control the dampness in the long term.

I've been told to fit a PIV, does anyone have any recommendations as to which one is best please, or any other options?

It's just a relatively small 2 bedroom house, double glazed, 600mm thick walls, and very little ventilation as it stands.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
OP
How did they retrofit a DPC in stonework out of interest?

I think a popular choice of PIV is the Nuaire Drimaster that sits in the loft, how appropriate that would be for an older property I'm not sure.

It'd maybe be worth considering a unit that has heat recovery built into it so you aren't blowing cold air in during the winter months.

A copy and paste from the Peter Cox survey :-

'We will install the Peter Cox Drywall horizontal damp proofing system into the correct mortar joint to the walls shown on the attached sketch plan.

We will form the Peter Cox Drywall wall floor joint at the junction of the wall and floor to the walls shown on the attached sketch plan.

Our quotation covering re-plastering allows for the following:
Hack-off and remove existing plaster from the areas and heights indicated on the attached sketch, and clear resultant debris from site. Apply Peter Cox porestop coating to 500mm in height to the walls shown on the attached sketch plan. Re-plaster these areas in accordance with our specification for ‘DryWall Coating’.'

Hopefully that makes sense. I've looked at the ones with the built in heater, but they're supposed to be extortionately expensive to run?

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Have a read of heritage-house.org, it has a whole section on damp and condensation, they seem to rate PIV highly

Lots of marketed solutions can be very bad for periods properties, including damp proof course injection

https://www.heritage-house.org/damp...p-con-collection/injection-damp-proofing.html

I've just read through that, the reason that we've had the DPC installed is to buy the house, and that link reads word for word what our survey report said, wish I'd seen it earlier, but hey ho! :cry: :mad:

Thanks for all the replies, looks like the Nuiare is the one to go for, I'll get looking now

Soldato
OP
have a read through earlier thread, too
that had seemed a bit of a b-mol if you you have a pile of fibre glass insulation, plus, some airflow crossing that via the eaves

Thank you, not even something that I would ever think of, do you have a link to that thread?

Possibly worth upgrading to the better filters available with the Nuaire and the Vent Axia if they'd filter those elements?

Soldato
OP
I think I'm going to go with the Vent Axia PureAir Home and the upgraded F7 filters, which comes in at around £320.
The Nuaire Drimaster-Eco NOX, with ePM10 filters, is more like £500.

Unless anyone thinks that the better filters are worth an extra £180, or the Nuaire is significantly better than the Vent Axia?

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Back
Top Bottom