Associate
OP
Yup.

This screams of electrician said "I've not done infrastructure before, I'll give it a go"

Should be 24 port patch panel in a central location, with one or two ports being ran from the fibre/BT/virgin point of entry to that panel.
YOU WERE ALL RIGHT!!!! DONT LET AN ELECTRICIAN DO YOUR NETWORK CABLING............ISSUE RESOLVED!!! So i got Tom the Network Engineer from 'Plugged In Comms' to pop over. Although his tester kit did not find any faults and he was about to leave saying, sorry i can't help you mate.....his hand just nudged the cable and he saw it cut off the connection....luckily he then unscrewed the faceplate to uncover the absolute disaster behind there! And Thank Goodnesss he did!!
Dmd4ynL.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
AFTER...........
5ssl9nM.jpeg

The electrician had used this type of face plate patch panel plug thingy (very technical lol).....But the network engineer used ones by EXCEL/EXEL
g9wkzyn.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
That's hurting my head a little.

Please don't tell me you are creating a loop local to the switch?
Not a loop, at least I don't think so, as that'll have shut down the network constantly rather than intermittently as the switches tries to clear the network loop or at least highlight it.

It looks like the electrician just wrapped the 4 pair coming from OP's rooms wallplate to the 4 pair we see (in grey) trailing down the wall. Basically they tried to splice two different ethernet cables together and had them held together with those plastic clips. It's no wonder it can't go beyond 1gb, as the inteferrence on that thing would have been crazy since it was next to another (functional) ethernet connection that's been punched down proper into their brother's wall plate.

At least now it's been punched down into it's own socket in the new wallplate connection.

Caporegime
The spark ran two cables to that faceplate, didn't have a double outlet and just butt crimped the wires to another length of cable to extend it. I'm honestly surprised it held at 1Gb.

Electricians need about five seconds to start having a go at other trades for doing 'their' job but they all think they know how to do data and TV distribution, and it always ends up like this. You can tell it's an electrician because they strip so much of the cable jacket off.

Last edited:
Soldato
The advice will be the same as given at the start (other than we now know about the poor quality structured cabling). Run cables between devices and test.

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE STRUCTURED CABLING.

Associate
OP
Draw a network diagram of how everything is connected, including every cable.

This thread is such a headache with half and missing information.
I hope this makes sense now. Its quite simple, Router to switch, switch to pc, both rooms have face plates/wall ports but the other end to the router is an RJ45 plug that goes straight into the router.
4DhuPrq.png

Associate
That diagram helps a little more.

You only resolved (hopefully) the connection on your brothers side, we don't know the state it's in on your side. And because we don't know the condition of the wiring behind the wall plate in your room (room b), we need to eliminate that as a still potential fault point. So what @Avalon said is correct, you need to now connect from your computer directly over to that switch in your brothers room (which is connected to the router on the floor below). And then you track for issues then. This will eliminate your wall plate connection as possibly being the issue.

This will also at the same time show us if the connection from room a to downstairs is possibly at fault too; because if there is an issue, because your router is the one with assigning the IP addresses (I believe), it means that if the connection to that is flakey, then it could indicate that somewhere between the wall port down to the router has an issue. And given the poor state of the installation we've witnessed already, there's a decent chance that the installations between your floor and downstairs might have been impacted as well.

Caporegime
I don't have a huge amount of confidence in whoever came in to test your cabling that wasn't planning on taking the plates off the wall just to look at the terminations, I think your structured cabling is in a right state and until you have bypassed it all for troubleshooting purposes by purchasing long patch cables and connecting them directly to the equipment, there is no hope of trying to resolve this.

Associate
OP
What about the other switch in the photo with your sky router..
Thats sky Q and the switch on the wall is a TP-Link 16 x 1Gb port switch, feeds of the main router. doesnt link to anything that is having drop outs. That serves all the downstairs AP's and 1 PC. No drop out issues there at all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thats sky Q and the switch on the wall is a TP-Link 16 x 1Gb port switch, feeds of the main router. doesnt link to anything that is having drop outs. That serves all the downstairs AP's and 1 PC. No drop out issues there at all.
Please draw a full diagram of everything.

Plug the PC directly into the Sky router and monitor. Then work your way back box by box to eliminate switches/cabling. Also drag all switches next to the Sky router and cable it as it would be via the hardwire, but instead use a known good cable.

Associate
OP
Please draw a full diagram of everything.

Plug the PC directly into the Sky router and monitor. Then work your way back box by box to eliminate switches/cabling. Also drag all switches next to the Sky router and cable it as it would be via the hardwire, but instead use a known good cable.
They Sky router is for the Sky Q boxes, my internet is with EE, The EE SMART HUB PLUS is the FTTP router. I dont see the point in doing what you are saying when i plug directly into the switch in the diagram i get no drop outs. but i am now also only get 1-3 drop outs a day since the terminations were fixed/renewed/repaired whatever you want to call it; at 2.5gbps. Surely the fact that the switch has never dropped out means, no issue with the cabling from the switch to the router?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom