Possible P160W Problem =/

Associate
Hey all,

I went and ordered the above case last week, which arrived today. Upon looking at it, everything seemed fine. Then i went and pushed the power button... it pushes in, but doesnt spring back out like i would assume it should.

If i give the case a bit of a tap it works its way back out, but im sure it aint supposed to be like that. I can cope with it being like this, however, if the button is damaged, it may not switch on at all. :(

And its not really the type of button you can replace either, it's a complete unit that houses the temp guage and usb ports etc.

Do you think antec would send me out the beizel(sp?), or do i have to send it back and wait close to two weeks for a replacement? Im waiting on some other parts at the moment, so i cant just put it all together and test it as that would mean ripping out the motherboard again once my other parts arrive.

I was thinking of using a multimeter on the power wires to see if pushing the switch completes the circuit, im not electrician, but it makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

Why does something always go wrong! *cries*

Soldato
Contact Antec, they should be able to send you what you need or do you a case swap. :)

Top class customer support, you pay for it so use it.

I would go to Antec over this, as the case is fit for purpose and not strictly speaking faulty.

Associate
OP
Im gonna pop the front off the case later and have a look to see if i can access the switch itself. Im not sure if its a spring thats supposed to push the button back out or not, but if it is, hopefully it'll be floating around in there somewhere.

And how does the case swap thing work? Do i have to send them my case first, or what? Im not really liking the idea of having to pay for postage again. :mad:

Soldato
Yewen said:
I would go to Antec over this, as the case is fit for purpose and not strictly speaking faulty.

I utterly disagree. If the switch is broken then it's broken and the whole case should go back to OcUK and they will replace it.

There is a horrible trend generally amongst UK computer stores to try and push the costs of reprocessing defective items back to the manufacturers. I can understand that people want to buy cheap stuff, but as the price drops so, generally, do the manufacturing standards and that often means an increase in returns to store.

A quick count of people who post on Case Central with manufacturing issues would seem to highlight Antec as a 'problem' manufacturer.

Associate
OP
I didnt buy it from here, im in Australia. :p

I think i've sorted out the switch. The spring is still there, its just a tad weaker than the Reset button spring, and it seems to slightly catch on the surrounding plastic on its way out. I might try to get a really small and fine file just to knock off the edges that make it catch. Other than that it's set to go.

I do have another question though. Where do you put the temp sensors? In the manual it says stick one on the HDD and one on the Motherboard... but where?

Associate
ive got one and the power switch doesnt pop in and out
and isnt meant to
you just push it to start, like a reset button for example

however the usb ports on the bezel have always been dodgy
but i wouldnt get rid of mine cos it looks so good especially with the clear side panel and akasa fan control, get rid of the integrated minging bezels though and get silver drives, imo

Soldato
On mine, I put one sensor in the fins of the CPU heatsink, and another on the fins of the graphics card heatsink.

If the button isn't operating as it should, get it replaced. It's a hassle, but you've paid good money for it so you deserve one that works properly.

Associate
OP
Well i found out what's wrong with it, well... not really, cause i cant get into the switch itself. Anyway... i noticed if i keep tension on the wires that lead from the switch etc, it'll work as it should, but if i let them slacken off the button sticks... well, it doesnt stick, it just doesnt spring back out as it should.

I just need to find a way to keep the tension on those wires.

As for the temp sensors, thats kinda what i was thinking. But do you get an accurate reading just wedging them in between heatsink fins? Im picking up my Zalman CPU cooler wednesday and i was thinking about sliding one inbetween the base of the HFS and the top of the IHS, and then leave one dangling somewhere to read ambient temps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom