• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

possible pproblem with graphics card.

Associate
well my pc seems a bit slow in games. it has a saphire 4890, a phennom II 720 and 4 gb ddr3 ram. the temps are 70 max for the gfx card and 30 max for the cpu. do these look ok? anyways i was playing crysis and needed everythig on lowest setting or else everything was jumpy (low rame rates?). same in farcry 2. the other thing is it occasionaly crashes or no reasone BUT never in games wich is what confuses me. just browsing the internet or listening to music will crash it but not gaming? the last thing is it might be artifacting. its fine (apart from framerates) in most games but in one verry old (10 years probably) game called neverwinter nights it sometimes messes up textures. things go weird colours, inventory items are replaced by weird tv static patterns. and sometimes the menue goes whole white. but i dont know if it is artifacting or just its a buggy game (think it is) strugling with win 7. thanks

Soldato
I've got NWN installed on Win 7 myself, had some shadowing problems at first.. Also just loaded it up now and instead of people everybody was a ghost with a shadow :p certainly looked more fun :D

Those temps are fine, assuming @ load.. infact they're not fine, they're great..

Are there any other games you're having problems with? Can you be more specific with what your FPS actually is in Crysis (playability is relative and all)? Are you forcing anything in the drivers? Did your FPS suddenly change down with the same hardware? Did you upgrade a part?

Crysis can still be a match for the best machines out there, havent played Far Cry 2 on PC..

Of course, be wary of any background applications stealing clock cycles.

As for your general crashes, I wouldnt say straight away that it was the graphics card.. If it were related to the card, you could probably test by disabling aero, the 3d accelerated desktop.

Associate
OP
well i only played the first level of crysis and then formatted my pc and havnt put it back on yet. so im not sure. but they wernt high although ive heard that running it at DX10 causes lots of framerate isues so it might have been in it (not sure though) thats comforting thats its not just me. i hoped it was a buggy game. but i just updated the drivers and its better in farcry but not perfect. i i look around quickly everything is sort of jumpy and the screen sometimes seperates a little. but it might be the monitor as it did this whn i had my ps3 on it. how is the best way to check frame rates? thanks

Soldato
Well, crysis has its own fps meter. If you go into the console, and write (iirc)
con_restricted 0
show_fps 1
You'll get the fps shown in the top right.

You can also run one of the general pre-made benchmarks. This will help with that: http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?postid=80046 and give you an average fps at the end to compare.

More generally, for any game, a great program to use is Fraps:
http://www.fraps.com/
In it's free form, if you run it in the background, you can display an FPS indicator in any corner of the screen you like. Handy :) (it'll also record videos, take screenshots and benchmarks)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
right. ran fraps on farcry on high settings and got around 27 fps. when i took shadows off it went up to 33 is this ok? thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
What resolution do you play your games at?

It does look a little low tbh (assuming <1920x1200 resolution)
My experience isnt with farcry 2 though :( (perhaps someone else can correct me if i'm wrong here?)

Give the Crysis benchmarks a try and post back settings and results.

Also check task manager to make sure none of the background programs are going to steal precious clock cycles during benchmark :)

Back
Top Bottom