Possible PSU Problem

Sim

Sim

Associate
Hi,

I have been having some strange issues with my server for some time including random reboots, not booting, loosing the PS/2 mouse to mention a few. I didnt know if it was a windows issue, so I have reinstalled Windows 2003 server but am having the same problems.

Spec
Single Intel Xeon 2.4
Asus NCCH-DL Motherboard
2 x 512MB PC3200 RAM
2 x 200GB Maxtor Drives (Raid -1)
DVD-RW
CD-ROM
Radeon 7000 Video Card
Akasa 460w PSU

The reboots can happen at any time, even in the BIOS so there are some serious issues somewhere. I have managed to get into windows, and install SpeedFan, and checking the voltages makes very scary reading.

VCore 1.93v
VCoreA 1.48v
+ 12v 6.81v
3.3v 1.44v

+3.3v 3.28v

Obviously the 12v rail should be higher than this, so is speedfan likely to be this far out, or is the Motherboard likely to be causing the problem, or is the PSU unable to cope?

Cheers

Soldato
Sim said:
Hi,

I have been having some strange issues with my server for some time including random reboots, not booting, loosing the PS/2 mouse to mention a few. I didnt know if it was a windows issue, so I have reinstalled Windows 2003 server but am having the same problems.

Spec
Single Intel Xeon 2.4
Asus NCCH-DL Motherboard
2 x 512MB PC3200 RAM
2 x 200GB Maxtor Drives (Raid -1)
DVD-RW
CD-ROM
Radeon 7000 Video Card
Akasa 460w PSU

The reboots can happen at any time, even in the BIOS so there are some serious issues somewhere. I have managed to get into windows, and install SpeedFan, and checking the voltages makes very scary reading.

VCore 1.93v
VCoreA 1.48v
+ 12v 6.81v
3.3v 1.44v

+3.3v 3.28v

Obviously the 12v rail should be higher than this, so is speedfan likely to be this far out, or is the Motherboard likely to be causing the problem, or is the PSU unable to cope?

Cheers

Those are quite worrying voltages! :eek: Should be within around +/- 5% really.

Have you got a multimeter handy? Will provide a more accurate reading than Speedfan. What do the voltages read in the BIOS?

From the looks of things, it looks like a PSU replacement is in order...

Sim

Sim

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply

Looking in the BIOS, the voltages look fine, and are well within the +/- 5%.

My guess is speedfan isn't reading the voltage right.

Back
Top Bottom