1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible silly mistake

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by blacktiger, Jul 9, 2018.

1. blacktiger

Associate

hi recently bought an ALPENFOHN MATTERHORN PURE EDITION CPU COOLER - 120MM from this site to replace my failing coolermaster v8, me being silly didnt do my research and by what ive read the ALPENFOHN MATTERHORN PURE may cover 1 or 2 of my ram slots (all of my slots are occupied) of my also ageing Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, now worried if i open the new cooler, try to fit it and it doesnt fit it will null my chance to send the item back, should have asked the people here first or could someones here rest my mind at ease and tell me it will fit or should i not take the chance and just return it

2. acemastr

Mobster

I'd be buying something I can pronounce the name of!

3. blacktiger

Associate

Sorry but that doesnt help my situation

4. eddiew

Wise Guy

I'd get some measurements without opening the box first. If it's plastic pack you can get its dimensions easily, otherwise you'll have to check online.

Measure half the cooler's width/height as from the centre of the CPU socket and see where you get to. The cooler should also be listed with a clearance above the board, so even if it does overlap, it may not come down on your dimms.

5. Finners

Wise Guy

Also need to know what ram you have, low profile stuff you might get away with it.

If they have huge heatsinks on then basically no chance.

6. LuckyBenski

Wise Guy

[​IMG]
    As Finners said, depends on your RAM I'd say.

7. blacktiger

Associate

Thanks for all your advise, shoulda came here first and asked the pros, ah well my ram is G skill and the heatsinks on them are quite large, looks like im gonna have to rma it, either way it will arrive today.

Any recommendations on the 1 i shoulda got with ample clearance of the ram, dont mind cost

8. blacktiger

Associate

1 as good as my Cooler Master V8 original model or better thanks

9. doyll

Soldato

Matterhorn Pure fins are 75mm front to back and RAM socket is about 50mm from center of CPU. This means front of cooler clears RAM by 12-13mm.

Fan will fit over RAM up to about 45mm tall.

You can use taller RAM by mounting fan on back of cooler so it pulls air through cooler instead of front pushing air through. I know we are used to seeing fans on front of coolers , but temps are basically the same with fan pulling as with fan pushing

10. Finners

Wise Guy

Don't forget he is on the x58 platform so has 3 RAM slots either side of the CPU socket. However with it being a large socket compared to the mainstream platform he might have some more clearance

11. doyll

Soldato

I am very aware of what motherboard blacktiger has. In opening post he said Asus P6T Deluxe V2.
    As you can see there are only RAM sockets in front of CPU. All X58 have same size LGA1366 socket with square 80mm mounting hole spacing.
    [​IMG]

12. blacktiger

Associate

Would like to thank and let all know that helped that cooler has arrived, has been fitted and runs perfect also it has cleared all my ram

13. doyll

Soldato

Thanks blacktiger for letting us know. Yeah, it's a great cooler for the money.

14. heatonpkmassive

Gangster

Good that it fits. Had it been me and it hadn't have fitted, I'd have just taken the ramsink off. Done this plenty of times with no problem, ramsinks are just a gimmick imho.