Possible upgrades to old pc

Associate
I've had my PC since 2013, upgraded a few bits over the years and it's been relatively ok.

Since getting back into gaming recently I realise it's struggling quite a lot to keep up. I'd imagine it's mainly cpu related as I haven't touched that since I built it other than an overclock.

It's only cs2 and a bit of gta5 that I'm playing currently so I was wondering if there was anything that would help or is it too old to improve now?

CoolerMaster CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Gaming Windowed Case
Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H LGA1155 ATX Motherboard
HyperX FURY Series 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - White
4GB Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 GAMING
EVGA Super NOVA 850W G2
Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

Soldato
Do you have a budget in mind and what res\refresh rate to do you play at?

Looking on the Steam page it does not need much

System Requirements​

Windows
  • Minimum:
    • Processor: 4 hardware CPU threads - Intel® Core™ i5 750 or higher
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Video card must be 1 GB or more and should be a DirectX 11-compatible with support for Shader Model 5.0
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 85 GB available space
I guess you have a few options, get a 2nd hand CPU (I7 3770K 4C 8T but unsure if this will help much in gaming) and a GPU or do a complete CPU\MOBO\RAM\GPU upgrade but it depends on how much you want to spend

Last edited:
Associate
GPU would be the first thing I'd do, it will net you the most gains in performance for gaming, but your CPU might start bottlenecking you.

You'd definitely be able to find a cheap high end CPU second hand for your gen mobo as the next port of call!

Associate
OP
I haven't really thought about budget, just wondering about options atm, I'm completely out the loop with hardware.

My monitors are Full HD (1080p) 1920 x 1080 at 75 Hz. I have 3 but only use 1 when gaming.

I suppose I should really look at doing a full upgrade to future proof rather than throw money at my current pc. I was hoping someone said just buy this 1 thing and it'll be perfect for another 3 years :p

Back
Top Bottom