Possibly stupid SATA question

Associate
Hey peeps,
So Im no expert when it comes to building a system but I do my best. I have an SSD and was aware that it was being reported by the SanDisk SSD Dashboard as being SATA 6Gb/s compatible, but was only running at 3Gb/s as it was in a SATA 2 port. I dismissed this as my mobo is a few years old and not top of the range and i assumed I didnt have any SATA 3 ports. I today noticed that I actually do. Mobo is a gigabyte x58a-ud3r. I had everything plugged into the blue ports but today moved them to the white ports. https://images.bit-tech.net/content...x58a-ud3r-motherboard-review/gigabyteud3c.jpg
SanDisk SSD Dashboard is now reporting my SSDs interface speed at only 1.5Gb/s. Can anyone shed some light onto what Ive overlooked/done wrong please?

** Do Not Hotlink images **

Thank you muchly!

Edit: Whilst I still havent figured out my goof, I think that, confusingly to me, the two white SATAs on the end might actually be SATA 2s and its just the 2nd white pair that are SATA 3s. I plugged my ssd into the end set, so that may be my issue. Any clever person with info to impart is still very much appreciated until i get time to re-wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys for your help. Will there be a significant performance drop putting it onto SATA 3? I do usually have 1 or 2 higher end games installed on there too for better performance than HDD, and I use it for video rendering also. Would SATA 3 be more helpful for that then?

Thank you again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom