Post your FTTC line stats & unlocking info

How do you get the line reset? As petty as it sounds, while my connection speed is solid my ping at 19ms rather than 9ms is still bugging me.... no reason why it should have gone up :(

I'm far too scared to hack the HG612 router and see whats going on :S

You have to do it through your ISP, and it requires an engineer visit at present as well, even then when the engineer comes, he has to ring up the exchange, and even then the bloke at the exchange can refuse it.

Would be so much better , if powering off your modem would do it, and simpler!

You have to do it through your ISP, and it requires an engineer visit at present as well, even then when the engineer comes, he has to ring up the exchange, and even then the bloke at the exchange can refuse it.

Would be so much better , if powering off your modem would do it, and simpler!

Bugger that, for 9ms im not that fussed :)

I REALLY want to 'hard' power down the router and modem unplugging everything from the mains etc.

I'm worried though it will cause more problems than it fixes :)

Last edited:
OK I stoped being a girl & have hacked it.

Although since rebooting the router my sync has dropped from 39997 to 39239

I have way too low snr Its fluctuating between 5.7-6.1. I'm guessing this is part of the cause of my problems. I had this with my old connection too :'(

Connection Status
Help
Mode VDSL2
Traffic type PTM
DSL synchronization status Up
DSL up time 434

Line Status
Help
Downstream Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 45772 7305
SNR margin (dB) 6 18.2
Line attenuation (dB) 0 0
Output power (dBmV) 11 -1.6

Statistics
Help

Path 0
Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s) 39293 1999 0 0
CRC errors 0 0 0 0
FEC errors 0 0 0 0
HEC errors 0 0 0 0

OK I stoped being a girl & have hacked it.

Although since rebooting the router my sync has dropped from 39997 to 39239

I have way too low snr Its fluctuating between 5.7-6.1. I'm guessing this is part of the cause of my problems. I had this with my old connection too :'(

Connection Status
Help
Mode VDSL2
Traffic type PTM
DSL synchronization status Up
DSL up time 434

Line Status
Help
Downstream Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 45772 7305
SNR margin (dB) 6 18.2

Statistics
Help

Path 0
Path 1
CRC errors 0 0 0 0
FEC errors 0 0 0 0
HEC errors 0 0 0 0

Reboot the router about noon tomoz, should get you your full sync.

CRC errors 512 0 0 0
FEC errors 16 2 0 0
HEC errors 142 0

I seem to be getting a few errors :( I might see if I can get a new line into my house as I believe that is prob the cause.

CRC errors 512 0 0 0
FEC errors 16 2 0 0
HEC errors 142 0

I seem to be getting a few errors :( I might see if I can get a new line into my house as I believe that is prob the cause.

Your line looks good compared to mine, I get lots of errors too, I don't sync anywhere near the full 40 meg, I should be but because of the errors I will never get close to your results. I may when 80/20 comes in place but until then it's unlikely. I can't see BT doing much because your getting close to the full 40, you may have Ali going up to the cab like me, and BT won't replace that, if you ask they may put you on a different pair, just ring your isp and tell them you keep getting disconnections. going to a different pair helped me a little but it may also go the other way, just be careful.

I seem to be getting a few errors :( I might see if I can get a new line into my house as I believe that is prob the cause.[/QUOTE]

The drop cable coming into your home is unlikely to be the problem, it's copper so it's good quality, ask you engineer if you have a copper D side going from the cab to the telephone pole?

I get more errors at night.

I have just re-syned the line this morning and now on:

Line Status
Help
Downstream Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 47364 7398
SNR margin (dB) 5.8 18.8

Statistics
Help

Path 0
Path 1
Line rate (kbit/s) 39996 1999 0 0
CRC errors 0 0 0 0
FEC errors 0 2 0 0
HEC errors 0 0 0 0

It has ONLY been up for 10 mins though, the errors last night kicked in after 30 mins or so.

My SNR is a low 5.8 atm. I remember sky ADSL they had a target of 7db snr. Any one know what FTTC target snr is??

I have a conservatory that was built over my bt phone line so i think that isnt helping / causing the noise.

I may have to insist they run a new line in, although it is hard as my connection doesnt actually reset or drop at all.....

It was up from the 2nd march and only re-set when i disconnected the modem myself...

EDIT:- is there any chance the different modem firmware could effect the snr? When the engineer was here originally, although in the day, the snr was about 8.5db.

The firmwares will make no difference with SNR or speed, the target SNR is 6.0 on fibre, I wouldn't worry about it dropping to 5.8, the engineers actually class 5.8 at a 6, mine drops to 4.8 at times, and getting a new line to your house will cost BT about £60,000 because they will not just change your pair, they will have to change everyone's. unless you pay 80% of the bill it will never happen, how far are you from the cab? the only thing you can do is ask the BT engineer to put you on a different pair, ask for a "Lift & Shift" but this again costs BT money and is unlikely because your getting over 15 meg. Your getting a full sync for 40 meg. I don't know what your complaining about your line and stats look great, everyone gets some errors, they are normal, and everyone's SNR margin fluctuates at times.

EDIT:- is there any chance the different modem firmware could effect the snr? When the engineer was here originally, although in the day, the snr was about 8.5db.

The reason your SNR was originally 8.5 is probably because of the time of day, like Locky said doing a re sync at noon is best because that's when noise it at it's lowest, being closer to the target of 6 is best because you will get best results. Hope I helped!

Just to illustrate the fact that SNR changes throughout the day here's my SNR recorded over a two week period -

e8df6f74.png

And how that in turn affects my attainable rate -

a6941fc0.png

Ah OK cool :)

I'm not that worried, loving the sync and speed.

I've never seen the errors on my line before and the engineer said my line at the cabinet was 'furred' up (like a battery does that leaks).

he sorted this. at night i used to get snr drop to 3-4db so im guessing its sorted. I was only asking as on adsl the snr is meant to be 7db so 5.8 is a fair bit under.

I'm more than happy with everything, just like to know all the i's are dotted.

Sit back and enjoy now.

Many thanks lads :D

Ok, heres my modem stats.... :)

I'm on the 80/20 Trial.

1824014555.png

Code:
# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max:    Upstream rate = 32937 Kbps, Downstream rate = 90168 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0