Potential cost of engine repair from low oil(UK)

Associate
My car oil level light was on the yellow warning light , a few days later I went to get oil and the car. Just died , no loud grinding from the engine , just stopped like a dead battery .

I went to get more oil and refilled the engine , the engine was struggling but after a few minutes the oil flowed through the system and the engine calmed down .

There where a few subtle jolts but began to calm .

I let the engine sit for a while and then left it overnight .

The following day I started the engine , and tried to reverse the car it died out , after a few attempts the car was running and I tried to move the car about 300yds , the engine is clearly damaged , as there is a loss in performance and it's chugging , not overly , by the time I reached 300yds a small amount of white smoke came out of the exhaust.

How much is it likely to cost to have this repaired (UK)

Associate
OP
What car is it?

Though no matter what, it's probably going to be new engine time. Or throw the car away if it's not worth the expense/doesn't have sentimental value/isn't a Land Rover Series and can't be repaired with duct tape and a hammer.

Seat Ibiza 1.4 2011,

Associate
OP
Yellow oil light means low oil level (top up required), red oil light means low oil pressure (engine damage likely)

Does the engine sound like it's rattling/knocking?

No rattling or knocking , just chugging it's not heavy , it's mild ,loss of power like it wants to die out

Associate
OP
The 1.8 TSI engine I had was using about a litre of oil for every 400-500 miles. If it's got that bad on the OP's engine, you could definitely do some damage in a few days whilst continuing to drive it on a low oil warning. But I agree, you'd think you'd get a low pressure warning before doing serious damage.

Timing chain issues are common on this 1.4 TSI too. The tensioner fails and that's goodbye engine. Perhaps this rough running is caused by a tensioner in the process of failing. Next comes the full failure and a dead engine. It could be repairable at this point.

Not 100% certain but potentially think it myt the lambda sensor , goina get a diagnostic kit of Amazon see if it picks it up

Indeed.

What model is it op? I have a 2010 1.4 Ibiza myself, its just a standard NA 4 cylinder engine. Although its a hardworking engine due to only having 85ps its actually known for being reliable and mine burns next to no oil so I think you've been unlucky with an oil leak if that is what has killed your engine. definitely get it recovered and checked somewhere!
Its the seat Ibiza chill 3 door hatchback 1.4

you think it could potentially be a lambda sensor , it did seemed to be out of place when we had a check , goina get a diagnostic kit and see for , the part itself is like £20 hopefully that's what it is

OP -
How long between the yellow oil light coming on and you topping it up?
How much did you top it up by?
The symptoms you describe don't add up.

A low oil light doesn't make a car just stop. Topping it up doesn't gently coax it back into life either.

Get it looked at by a professional - this is going to sound a bit harsh, but from your description of events you either don't know what you're talking about, or you're simply unable to recall /describe the sequence of events adequately.
Not entirely 100% but believe it may be the Lambda sensor , possibly other issues , goina get a cheap diagnostic kit and try and get a reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Update on the situation for those who were interested . The car was sitting around for a few weeks but have recently had it picked up to be looked at . Turns out it was just spark splugs needed changing

Back
Top Bottom