Potential new car

Hey all.
I made a thread like this around 6 months ago, but now rather than just talking about it the offer is actually on the table.
I do about 5000 miles per year. I definately don't need a diesel, but the car has been owned by my dad since it was 6 months old and is in good nick.
I am coming from a 2000 1.0 Micra S which has no A/C. I paid £2600 for it in 2005 and it has never let me down, but in the summer it is not pleasant and it just can't keep up with the traffic on the dual carriageways.
My intention would be to own this car for 3-4 years.

The car in question is:
Ford Focus 57 reg Ghia
2.0 TDCI
Sea Grey 140
77,000 miles
He wants £5000

Good bits:
Major Ford service @ 75,000 miles (all other services at Ford)
Waxed yearly
No dents
No kerbing on the wheels
Mainly motorway miles and never driven hard
Euro 4 diesel - No DPF
Nothing is broken or 'on the way out'
Completely known history
Never been in a crash
No issues other than needing 2 sets of front discs (new set put on at major service)
Had a new fuel tank under warranty in 08-09

Bad bits (aside from the wheels these are very minor):
Original exhaust/turbo/clutch/injectors - Who knows when they will break
Wheels have that 'white rust' look as water has gone under the paint - They need a paint-only refurb plus new centre caps - The asking price reflects this
A chip on the passenger side of the windscreen that has been filled
A few stone chips (but they have been filled as soon as noticed)
A bit of plastic under the fog light broke when a bird was hit. Dad sprayed the new part himself and fitted it
Afaik no options on top of the Ghia trim apart from metallic paint

Soldato
OP
5000 miles a year and a tdci, Not ideal but at least you know the car.

The diesel bit won't bother me. The car vibrates less than the Micra and I will appreciate some low down shove. The 59hp in the Micra isn't the killer, it is the 59lb/ft with long gear ratios - I pull out at a junction and it usually leaves me in the way of other cars even though there was an ample gap, but giving it some revs just spins the wheels.

Soldato
OP
I just had a drive in a friend's Focus.
His is a 1.6 petrol 115hp (**** me it is thirsty!) ghia with extras such as parking sensors and multi CD changer.
Wow it is nice to drive. Usually I sit in a new car and feel uneasy but this I felt right at home in. The clutch was very smooth and the seats were comfortable.

The drive was <20mph in a carpark but still it gave me a bit of an insight.

Soldato
OP
Hey all just an update.

Long version:
Dad has bought a 2.0TDCI Focus Titanium Estate - 6 months old with sat nav, some form of looks pack and parking sensors - £16999 :eek: Not a bad price by all means as they are not exactly cheap new!
Ford offered him £4000 for the old Focus on trade in, but he would rather sell privately to get more money.
I won't bore you with all the details on why, but the Micra is half my mum's car. The deal is I get the Focus for £4000 and sell the Micra to my brother for £200 (Looking at pistonheads and autotrader I reckon I'd get £700 for it with ease as the condition is fantastic).
I will pay dad to tax it as the Focus is due for renewal.

Short version:
Getting Focus for £3930 with 12 months tax and giving Micra to younger brother.

Question: Is £700 a fair price for my Micra? 2000, 1.0, very good nick, everything works, doesn't need any money spent on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The £4000 for the Focus was based on the Micra being worth £300, so I said that is fine but give me half of whatever you get over that for it.
This was all based on the Micra being sold privately. I am guessing it is worth £700 so would just tell my brother to give me £200 for it.

I just want to check that £700 is a good, fair price for the Micra if it were to be sold off privately:
1.0, Red, 2000, airbag, power steering, no rust, good tyres, new exhaust, 43000 miles, 6 months MOT, 5 months tax and doesn't need anything fixing

What does OCUK think the Micra would sell for privately? I was guessing put up for £900 and accept £700. I thought it may be worth less than this but looking online at pistonheads/autotrader K11 Micras are quite expensive still.

Needless to say, I am buying the Focus!!

[TW]Fox;21687279 said:
Let's not get carried away. It's a fantastic buy under these circumstances but its not 'lovely and smooth'.

Compared to the Micra, it feels smooth :p At idle the gearstick shakes in it!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey all.

Sold Micra to brother for £200.
I got the Focus for £4000 and added 12 months tax for £135.

Whilst I realise it is both a diesel and a mass-produced family hatchback, it really feels quick.
Having some low down power means that at I am changing gear less, plus I am loving the cruise control. The only thing I don't like is the engine note, but it is a diesel after all!

I can only imagine how good 6 cylinder petrols and smaller turbo petrols are!

Back
Top Bottom