Potential Upgrade Advice

Associate
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my current pc (or whether I'd have to look at a new build).

I have the below thread looking at putting together a build for a friend. It's looking like a RTX 3060 build but one thing I'm thinking is upgrading my GPU and selling him my RTX 3060ti founders edition. That way he can save money and get a better GPU and I can put it towards an upgrade on mine.

I wouldn't normally start a new thread but I want to keep my upgrade separate to his build as it might confuse things for him if there were two different build discussions in a thread for his pc build.

As an example I'm currently playing Jurassic World Evolution 2 on 1440p Ultrawide Monitor and achieving around 60fps. Certainly not poor for what I need but there's not a lot going on on the screen so not in it's most demanding scenario. I'd be playing similar games like cities skylines and then the likes of the total war franchise (e.g. warhammer 3) however it's more than likely I'll start looking at going to 4k, VR and also playing games like Cyberpunk.

Main considerations:
  • GPU is the obvious upgrade. Is a 4070 ti super a sensible upgrade? When I've done a bit of research, 4080 and 4080 ti look to be overpriced and 4070ti Super seems a good middle ground between a big upgrade from my 3060ti but also not wasting too much money. Or is 4080/4080ti reasonable value?
  • If I upgrade my GPU, is there much likelihood of my CPU causing much of a bottleneck. I get mixed impressions online with the 5600x running with a 4070ti Super or above.
  • If I then need to upgrade my CPU, am I then potentially looking at needing a new motherboard depending on the socket type?
  • I'm hoping PSU at 850 will have enough to run the upgrades?
  • I think ultimately if I'm having to upgrade more than the GPU, I'm getting to the point where it might just be better doing a full new build.
My current build:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard: MPG B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi
  • GPU: RTX 3060ti Founders Edition
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz
  • WD SN550 1TB SSD NVME
  • PSU: Corsair RM850 ATX Power Supply
  • Case: Corsair iCUE 4000x Mid Tower

What is your budget for the upgrade?

Something like a 5700x3d and a new Gpu would give you a decent bump. Maybe a new ram kit with 32gb too

Sorry that would help. My budget is fairly open I guess. If I was going for just an upgrade now I'd go around 1k maybe. If it was a full new build though I think I'd wait to put together some more savings for it and go for one around £2k for the full build.

If I was replacing the CPU, GPU and RAM, I'm not far off a new build anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom