• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Potentially faulty 4090

Associate
Morning everyone!

I bought a Gainward Phantom 4090 from OCUK and whislt the card has been fantastic on all fronts, except for one thing.

I've been having an issue, only when using HDMI 2.1 to a LG C9. What happens is that, randomly, on a cold boot as soon as it gets to the login screen it goes black (no signal), there's no fan ramp up or anything like that, it just loses signal, sometimes it happens if I leave it idling on desktop. I'm on Windows 11 23H2, fast startup off, latest drivers but happens on all drivers using this cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08X3PGXV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 2.1 Certified 3M by True HQ.

This happens absolutely randomly, sometimes it doesn't happen for a full week, sometimes 2 days in a row. I never ever have this happen when gaming for example, absolutely no issues there.
One thing to note as well, is that when I'm using my office's monitor 8 hours per day working, which is DisplayPort, this NEVER happens.

Here's a couple of screenshots to illustrate what shows up on Event Viewer when this happens:

Shows three nlvddmkm events in a row:

J9A1jTz.png

ZEeBp0U.png

wMDrKBS.png

BWqTbfL.jpg

I've done a fresh install of Win11 a couple of times, this behavior never changed. I always use DDU and do a fresh install of new drivers, etc. This has always happened since I got this card. For some reason, there's never ever an issue when gaming and can go for hours and hours nor is there an issue when connected to my DP monitor.

My question is, should I get in touch with OCUK for a replacement? Is this considered faulty? I've had to hard shutdown my PC so many times it's stressing me out, because when this happens in the lockscreen the power button doesn't gracefully shutdown the PC as when you're in the desktop past the lockscreen / login.

Try a different HDMI cable and a different HDMI port on your TV.

It’s likely a HDMI handshake issue.

Had similar on my LG C9. Updated software on the TV and it’s been fine ever since.

Try a different HDMI cable and a different HDMI port on your TV.

It’s likely a HDMI handshake issue.

Had similar on my LG C9. Updated software on the TV and it’s been fine ever since.

C9 has been on latest firmware since it released. Always had it on the latest, remember the woes on Xbox Series X launch as well.
I've switched the HDMI Port already, same behaviour. When you had the similar issue was it paired with nlvddmkm GPUID event errors?

Yesterday, for example, I left it idling on the desktop whilst I watched youtube on the internal app, when I switched back to the PC source the exact same thing had occurred, so it idled for about 30 minutes and bam, GPUID 600 errors, no signals. Was able to gracefully shut it down through the power button as it was already in the desktop.

What cable would you recommend me giving a go? I'm using the exact same brand for DP and smaller version (1m) for my soundbar with eARC and it works perfectly on that front.

Last edited:
Which cable did you get btw?

Sorry, I’ve no idea now. I experienced the problem when I had a 3090FE and sorted it out then.

It was exactly the same issue though. The 4090FE has worked flawlessly using the same cable thankfully.

Someone else on here must be able to recommend a decent 4K/120Hz supported cable.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with my Strix 4090. Certainly that reset TDR error.

Only when GPU was idle I got black screen, I could game for hours on it but idle/browser had high chance to black screen and need hard reset.

If I was gaming and then stopped and left idle then almost certain to happen as card was warm.

Not saying you have exact issue but sounds similar

Forum thread overclock.net loads of people with issue when card idle.

There are band aid fixes but I RMA’d mine for the price it has to work perfectly like my 3090.

I've had this issue as well, but slightly different.
I have my monitor and TV plugged in, monitor though DP and TV though HDMI 2.1

No issues at all whilst gaming, but sometimes when exiting a game that uses almost no resources (world of tanks is a good example) I will get a black screen with that same error message. This happens even when the TV is off and the display preferences are set to only display on my monitor. Just having the TV plugged into the card will sometimes cause this issue.

I put a band-aid on it by simply having the TV unplugged from my PC unless I plan to play a game on the TV instead of my monitor and it hasn't done it while doing that. It's only happened after playing games on my monitor and all it takes to randomly trigger it is the TV being plugged into the card.

TBH I had forgotten about it until seeing this thread and hadn't tried any real fixes apart from DDU. I'll try replacing the cable with the one linked above (ordering now) and see if it makes a difference.

Use one of these below they are active fibre optic cables and I use them all way up to 20m length with zero issues. Others on here also use them now too with zero issues.

They are directional so make sure to connect them right way round from the gpu to tv. This will 100% rule out cables with one of these as they work all way up to 20M.

AFAIK that's not actually active. It's fibre optic yes, but not active. Doesn't have a powered chipset in it. I did buy it because well, it's bound to be better than the TrueHQ one I have which is super thick and non-malleable and after 3 days same issue. This time the screen recovered instantly, so there's that lol. But driver crashed anyway, same deal. Cold boot, in login screen.

This one is though but the price is ridiculous...

I've had this issue as well, but slightly different.
I have my monitor and TV plugged in, monitor though DP and TV though HDMI 2.1

No issues at all whilst gaming, but sometimes when exiting a game that uses almost no resources (world of tanks is a good example) I will get a black screen with that same error message. This happens even when the TV is off and the display preferences are set to only display on my monitor. Just having the TV plugged into the card will sometimes cause this issue.

I put a band-aid on it by simply having the TV unplugged from my PC unless I plan to play a game on the TV instead of my monitor and it hasn't done it while doing that. It's only happened after playing games on my monitor and all it takes to randomly trigger it is the TV being plugged into the card.

TBH I had forgotten about it until seeing this thread and hadn't tried any real fixes apart from DDU. I'll try replacing the cable with the one linked above (ordering now) and see if it makes a difference.

Which TV? I actually have 0 issues when exiting games etc. Usually happens on cold boots, but it's very random, sometimes 2 weeks go by with nothing, then everyday for example.

I had a similar problem with my Strix 4090. Certainly that reset TDR error.

Only when GPU was idle I got black screen, I could game for hours on it but idle/browser had high chance to black screen and need hard reset.

If I was gaming and then stopped and left idle then almost certain to happen as card was warm.

Not saying you have exact issue but sounds similar

Forum thread overclock.net loads of people with issue when card idle.

There are band aid fixes but I RMA’d mine for the price it has to work perfectly like my 3090.

Again, mine is basically mostly when cold booting and this only happens on HDMI to LG C9. Tried 3 cables so far. Same deal. It's completely random. But even after it happens, if I just reboot I can go on and game for hours, leave it idling etc no issues.

I use the PC on my office monitor (UW 144hz) through DP and this happened 0 times there. Use it every day for work. Only on HDMI to LG does this occur :S

I thought about RMA'ing but I already applied PTM 7950 to it as the hotspots were horrendous, the factory paste job was all pumped out, dry and almost burned... incredible botch job for a GPU this expensive. So I'm afraid I might not qualify for it....

AFAIK that's not actually active. It's fibre optic yes, but not active. Doesn't have a powered chipset in it. I did buy it because well, it's bound to be better than the TrueHQ one I have which is super thick and non-malleable and after 3 days same issue. This time the screen recovered instantly, so there's that lol. But driver crashed anyway, same deal. Cold boot, in login screen.

This one is though but the price is ridiculous...

Which TV? I actually have 0 issues when exiting games etc. Usually happens on cold boots, but it's very random, sometimes 2 weeks go by with nothing, then everyday for example.

Again, mine is basically mostly when cold booting and this only happens on HDMI to LG C9. Tried 3 cables so far. Same deal. It's completely random. But even after it happens, if I just reboot I can go on and game for hours, leave it idling etc no issues.

I use the PC on my office monitor (UW 144hz) through DP and this happened 0 times there. Use it every day for work. Only on HDMI to LG does this occur :S

I thought about RMA'ing but I already applied PTM 7950 to it as the hotspots were horrendous, the factory paste job was all pumped out, dry and almost burned... incredible botch job for a GPU this expensive. So I'm afraid I might not qualify for it....

It's active and if you read the description of how it works it states it is an active cable, exactly the same as your more expensive one you listed too.. They all work the same the fibre optic cables. Seems you have another issue then with your pc and you can now rule out the hdmi cable as this cable works and works very well all way up to 20 meters and I have more than one 20m and all worked as designed.

What I was using before these cables I recommended to you was this one here :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09LZ3FY9H/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?smid=A2KVF7QXNCLV8H&psc=1

It's cheaper now but at the time was £250-£300 for it as was one of the few on the market that could do long runs of hdmi at 4k/8k.

Last edited:
It's active and if you read the description of how it works it states it is an active cable, exactly the same as your more expensive one you listed too.. They all work the same the fibre optic cables. Seems you have another issue then with your pc and you can now rule out the hdmi cable as this cable works and works very well all way up to 20 meters and I have more than one 20m and all worked as designed.

What I was using before these cables I recommended to you was this one here :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09LZ3FY9H/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?smid=A2KVF7QXNCLV8H&psc=1

It's cheaper now but at the time was £250-£300 for it as was one of the few on the market that could do long runs of hdmi at 4k/8k.

Ok gotcha, any reason in the price discrepancy then? I too assumed the FIBBR one was active as it states so in the description, being directional as well etc. But then someone on another forum (guru3d) mentioned it wasn't actually active lol.

My conundrum now is RMA or not :S being in the UK and having re-pasted means warranty is void? I've never had to RMA a GPU that I've repasted before. I would even RMA and get a refund and grab another brand but the prices have shot up MASSIVELY...

Ok gotcha, any reason in the price discrepancy then? I too assumed the FIBBR one was active as it states so in the description, being directional as well etc. But then someone on another forum (guru3d) mentioned it wasn't actually active lol.

My conundrum now is RMA or not :S being in the UK and having re-pasted means warranty is void? I've never had to RMA a GPU that I've repasted before. I would even RMA and get a refund and grab another brand but the prices have shot up MASSIVELY...
The person on guru3d was talking rubbish.

Regarding RMA-ing a reapplying of thermal paste depends on the GPU makers guidelines for warranty, so you will have to contact the maker/supplier of the GPU, what brand GPU do you have as some clearly state it's will void the warranty and others are okay with it as long as no user damage done when done.

The person on guru3d was talking rubbish.

Regarding RMA-ing a reapplying of thermal paste depends on the GPU makers guidelines for warranty, so you will have to contact the maker/supplier of the GPU, what brand GPU do you have as some clearly state it's will void the warranty and others are okay with it as long as no user damage done when done.

Gainward Phantom (non GS). I did it because it was honestly really bad, hitting 100C hotspot easily with not much effort. GPU Clock wasn't stable due to that etc. After PTM 7950 the difference is so drastic it feels like a brand new card.

Before:
20231031_121556-jpg.2633764

After:
20231031_125649-jpg.2633763

Reactions: J.D

Seems to be a common issue with Nvidia GPUs and HDMI 2.1
Ignore S95C in the title, that just happens to be his TV

Just checked it. Looks to be a different issue altogether. Because the FIBBR cable didn't fix it for me. His issue seems to be completely black screen no matter what, or when doing anything. Mine is ONLY on a cold boot. I can game for hours and hours, leave it idling, etc. It's when cold booting, as soon as it reaches the login screen. Black Screen + GPUID 600 crashes. And it's so random that sometimes I can go a full week without any issues..

Back
Top Bottom