Power line Vs WiFi gaming latency

Soldato
Hi guys,

Struggling to find anything more recent than two years ago on this with Google. I have just moved and running my big Ethernet from router to computer is gonna be a right mess and cause me A lot of hassle moving across hallway and landing etc.

Does anybody here use wi-fi/Powerline for gaming where low latency is wanted like fast FPS etc and have any recommendations on the best kits available or an I wasting my time and need to start drilling?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
My last set introduced approximately 1ms-3ms additional latency, but it was rock solid compared to wifi, even if theoretical throughput was lower. It's a YMMV thing though, with lots of factors

Which set did you get? I think I better just try a set for a few days and if it's not up to par I will have to do the drilling. My computer is above the router so theoretically I could go through the wall and up the front of the house to avoid the mess indoors.

Appreciate the quick responses guys thanks a lot

Soldato
OP
If you can run a cable externally do it. Make sure you use external grade cable.

Unless you have to buy all of the tools new it'd most likely cost less than a decent set of powerline adapters.

First house, currently have no tools but am sure could borrow some lol. I'm really not very handy am just learning now as I go :)

Soldato
OP
Actually, I've done this and it's not a big mess, nor is it a hassle. An ethernet cable can be 100m long, which is more than enough to route round doors and walls and the cable can be tucked into the gap between the carpet grip and the skirting board. To make going around a door look neat, get some 8mm trunking from Screwfix. This or this.

That might be doable thanks for links, will show my wife tonight see if that is acceptable though the external may be preferred. Hate thought of putting holes in the house though lol

Back
Top Bottom