power supplies?

Suspended
My smartpower 450watt has decided to not work now so im in the process of trying to send it back. I think im going to buy a new one today but dont know too much about them.

In 'placethatscrap' they have 'jeantech' and one 'hiper' power supply. the jeantech are 450watt and 580. The hiper is 600watt. I want to know which one would be sufficient to power the following

X1800XT
Overclocked Opteron 146
2 IDE hard drives
1 12-mm fan

I really dont want to get the hiper one if its overkill and its £80 aswell. However I dont want the jeantech if it crappy and blows some of my hardware!

the jeantech 450watt is about £40 will this do?

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest I wouldnt get either, there are very mixed views on here about the Hipers, my advice to you is to look around other forums to find out the true story about them. As for Jeantech psu's there only really good for basic computers with no overclocking, in my opinion Hiper is a small step up from them with the next step up being Enermax, Tagan or Seasonic.

If you want a trusty power supply to run your rig as listed, I would look at power supplys from those 3 companies around the 500w mark, an overclocked system with a X1800XT in it needs a power supply with a lot of amps as well as power.

Suspended
OP
Dutch Guy said:
Is that the powersupply that you used with your DFI mobo?

yes indeed. I connected everything as in the pics from the other thread and it doesnt power on. I tested another motherboard with and it did the same. I then borrowed my mates power supply and everything spun up fine.
I connected everything correctly as on the dfi forums and something small (im thinking a fuse) has obviously blown inside the smartpower supply.

Ive emailed overclockers about it and im awaiting a reply. Maybe you might know, would I need to send the case and psu back because the case is fine. Im buying a higher powered supply to go with the new parts I have

Soldato
I had the same issue with the SmartPower supplied with the Antec SLK3700BQE. The 350W would not power up my DFI NF3 and Opty 146 while a QTEC 500W easily did. It was RMA'ed and another one sent to me which did exactly the same. OCUK very kindly sent me a Tagan 430W U15 with the dual rail/single rail switch and with the rails combined it worked perfectly instantly.

I believe that the split 12v rail simply means there is not enough juice to fire up the board which is why the older PSU you've tried is working. In other words, I do not believe that another SmartPower will work for you.

Oh, as for the case issue, because I'd fully built the system and was reluctant to have to dismantle it all, they simply sent me a PSU not the entire case. When the second one also didn't work they immediately sent me the Tagan free of charge! The service I received over this issue was exemplary; OCUK rock!

Suspended
OP
MikeTimbers said:
I had the same issue with the SmartPower supplied with the Antec SLK3700BQE. The 350W would not power up my DFI NF3 and Opty 146 while a QTEC 500W easily did. It was RMA'ed and another one sent to me which did exactly the same. OCUK very kindly sent me a Tagan 430W U15 with the dual rail/single rail switch and with the rails combined it worked perfectly instantly.

I believe that the split 12v rail simply means there is not enough juice to fire up the board which is why the older PSU you've tried is working. In other words, I do not believe that another SmartPower will work for you.

Oh, as for the case issue, because I'd fully built the system and was reluctant to have to dismantle it all, they simply sent me a PSU not the entire case. When the second one also didn't work they immediately sent me the Tagan free of charge! The service I received over this issue was exemplary; OCUK rock!

thanks very much for the information mate. In the mean time im without a new pc though which i need. Ive let ocuk know but i think im going to get a Hiper 480W Type-R Black PSU. For £43 it should do the trick i think

Suspended
OP
K. update. Ive just been to 'purple and yellow place' and got the Hiper TypeR 580watt. Just been looking at it and the packaging must have cost £20 alone!
£70 maybe but online itd be £60 then another tenner for delivery, i think ive done the right thing. Cheers guys (and maybe girls)

Suspended
OP
williamw11 said:
Youre up and running again so thats the main thing.

not quite its here with me and my computers in bits at home. where do i stand with the smartpower? if i rma it and they send me another it still wont work. I suppose i could sell it, are well

Back
Top Bottom