Power surge in outlet lead to a dead PSU and maybe more...?

Associate
This summer I bought a couple of parts for a cheap gaming PC these are it's specs (it hasn't had any problems before this):
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz, 8MB
RAM: ADATA 16GB (2x8GB)
GPU: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 med SLI
PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 750W 80+ Gold, Modulär (changed into a 1200w Thermaltake ThoughPower)
MOBO: Gigabyte ga-z97x gaming 1

Regarldess yesterday when i went to have lunch and when i came back to my room the screens were on but the computer was completly turned off or rather what i should really say was black because NO LEDS were on.

I then ofcource plugged everything out of the branch outlet i had and it started making weird noises behind the on/off breaker and lightning came out the sockets on everyone of the outlets....

I opened up and plugged out basically the whole PC to check if there were a smell coming from the motherboard (which there wasn't), checked all the compactors (or whatever they are called (no compactors looked off though)), I checked the PSU (and it smelled a little off) and I also checked through the GPUS (which i did not notice anything on).

Today: I bought a new PSU to check if it was just that part which was faulty and when i plugged the new PSU into the system basically nothing happened except that the PowerButton tuned on for like 0.5 seconds (i read about the problem i had and this thread was maybe the closest i got to it https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...g-pc-for-the-second-time-in-a-month.18657820/).
After i had plugged out everything and basically rebuilt the PC again i had a thought to take out the CMOS battery and i replaced it with a new one, when i then plugged in a power cable the Power Button lit up and kept on being lit up nothing happened except for that though.
Not even a fan spinning....

Please help me :(......

Did try (did not work) did however see a light on the motherboard light up going to check whatever that might mean rn
Bro btw it doesn't even get to BIOS (It's just black basically) with or without the GPU i mean it really doesn't show any signs of life except for that one LED on the power button as well as the MBIOS light

Last edited:
Think best thing to do is get a cheap board that supports the 4790k and test each of the component on it.

Have you tried testing using the bare minimum only.
Motherboard, cpu and 1 stick of ram?

Back
Top Bottom