Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
People dont rate them that highly on youtube... But it cuts, what more do you want, it would be good on thin wood where a jigsaw would just bounce the wood.

Soldato
Its a mini chainsaw at the end of the day, so you expect it not to cut not very accurate with rough finishes. Most of those reviewers hasn't used actual chainsaws, thats jus how they cut.

For me I can see it being usful as I cant use a normal handsaw or hacksaw, for thats the reason I have all these 10.8v/12v tools, as I cant use manual tools....... I remember the days of the powered screwdriver or drill when you would always need to recharge the battery the day before you used it.. I am glad those days are over as that caught me out quite often, and the thing is with a screwdriver more than a drill, is that you dont know when you will be needing it.

I bet the blades cost a fortune... Looks cool though. Would be a good weapon for a robot wars robot.

You can get larger blades for it apparently.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know if the Axminster wood lathes are any good? Specifically this one: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-craft-ac305wl-woodturning-lathe-105119 . Or if there is anything better for the money. It'll only be used occasionally in a hobby capacity, so i don't think there is any point dropping serious money on one for now.

I’m not a wood turner but I am a wood worker. When considering Axminster products always look at Record Power too. They often have very good alternatives at lower prices and their customer service is excellent. If you check their webby you can find stockists and also shows they are attending.

Soldato
I’m not a wood turner but I am a wood worker. When considering Axminster products always look at Record Power too. They often have very good alternatives at lower prices and their customer service is excellent. If you check their webby you can find stockists and also shows they are attending.

Thanks, It's funny you should say that as I was just looking at record powers site. Looks like they have some decent kit on there, I am also interested in the midi band saw as well.

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/cast-iron-6-speed-midi-lathe-m33x35mm-thread-2mt-spindle - This lathe seems to tick all the boxes and is £50 less than the Axminster version.

Soldato
Well I don’t know where in Lancashire you are but Biven Machinery in Blackpool is having a Record Power show 24-25 September.

I chose an Axminster bandsaw because I preferred the design at the price point I was looking at. But both companies have changed their designs since then. I like my Record planer/thicknesses really nice piece of kit for the price. Same with my chip extractor and air filter, much more engineering for your money.

Soldato
Anyone any thoughts on this

https://www.aldi.co.uk/24l-portable-air-compressor-2-5hp/p/018239285168700

Fancy a Li-Ion compressor for car tyres, balls etc and this is at a reasonable price point for what I'd use it for. I'm only really interested for the convenience.

I can't justify eg £100+ for the DeWalt 18v version, though it would be handier as it would work with my larger batteries etc. I will just stick with my corded 12v cigarette lighter model if this is under spec.

Soldato
Anyone any thoughts on this

https://www.aldi.co.uk/24l-portable-air-compressor-2-5hp/p/018239285168700

Fancy a Li-Ion compressor for car tyres, balls etc and this is at a reasonable price point for what I'd use it for. I'm only really interested for the convenience.

I can't justify eg £100+ for the DeWalt 18v version, though it would be handier as it would work with my larger batteries etc. I will just stick with my corded 12v cigarette lighter model if this is under spec.

The description doesnt appear to match the picture

“As practical as can be, this portable air compressor is built on wheels and has a well-designed, comfortable handle that makes it easy to transport to those all-important jobs around the home or garage. The 24L Air Compressor has a 2.5 HP motor and great pressure and compressor speed, making it great for beginner mechanics to work on cars, as well as for DIY around the house and garden”

Soldato
The description doesnt appear to match the picture

“As practical as can be, this portable air compressor is built on wheels and has a well-designed, comfortable handle that makes it easy to transport to those all-important jobs around the home or garage. The 24L Air Compressor has a 2.5 HP motor and great pressure and compressor speed, making it great for beginner mechanics to work on cars, as well as for DIY around the house and garden”

It also says it's a 2 man lift :p I presume they've taken some of the text from a petrol/diesel compressor for some reason.

I'll have a look at the specs when they are in store and compare to the VW one in my boot.

Associate

Amazon have this deal quite often. I've got the same one and pretty happy all in all although I've not much experience with its competition tbf.
The only thing I really don't like is that the chuck regularly works lose and I have actually lost a couple of bits that have fallen out when I've been working outdoors.
Good battery life, quick charging and a nice range of other tools that use the same battery system.

Amazon have this deal quite often. I've got the same one and pretty happy all in all although I've not much experience with its competition tbf.
The only thing I really don't like is that the chuck regularly works lose and I have actually lost a couple of bits that have fallen out when I've been working outdoors.
Good battery life, quick charging and a nice range of other tools that use the same battery system.

You missed it, price tracking shows its never been £60 for the drill and 2 batteries, its normally about £75 when on offer
Hell even without charger and batteries is normally £60

I'm sure I have the same one and it was around £60 a few years back.

Maybe check hot UK deals as sometimes flash deals don't show up on trackers

Maybe, I must admit I only looked back 18 months, and the tracker I use does record all the amazon flash deals etc. It shows a dot outside the normal trend if a flash deal is there.
Funny when you look at some items and they are flash dealing about 50% of the time and have a silly price the rest.

Anyway the deals gone now, Bosch have been running extra special deals on Amazon all month but that one stood out hence why I posted it.

Soldato
My Dewalt xr 4.0ah battery arrived this week from amazon. Crazy bargain at £23.

My dewalt collection is growing.

Combi drill
Impact driver
Reciprocating saw
Laser level.

Kinda addictive unnecessary spending :(

How'd you manage to get one that cheap?

Yeah it gets like that. It's annoying the bare tools are so expensive compared to other brands though. I fancy the Angle Grinder but it's about £130 which is more than i'd want to spend.

Although my cheap Parkside Angle Grinder chewed it's way though 2x 2ah batteries cutting a single slab!

Back
Top Bottom