Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
Mine's plummeted since taking a break after my Ironman training (and event in July).

FTP was around 380 then, now it's 340 or so. Weight has also gone up, hoping this is due to starting crossfit-ish gym sessions a few times a week.

So around 4.4 w/kg now :(

Soldato
I've felt ill since beginning of December so have really suffered fitness wise really not done much at all.
Starting to feel better now so will hop back into Zwift soon.
Start with a ramp test see where I'm at.

Associate
Well, another year goes by, and Strava tells me I did over 18,000 km in 2023. A pretty stupid amount but I'm enjoying the endorphins. Not much change to the power curve and Intervals.icu and Strava have my estimated FTP at 353W.
Age - 58
Weight - 77.5kg
60 min - 345W, 4.36W/kg
20 min - 373W, 4.65W/kg
5 min - 411W, 5.06W/kg
Still rubbish at sprinting!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I've felt ill since beginning of December so have really suffered fitness wise really not done much at all.
Starting to feel better now so will hop back into Zwift soon.
Start with a ramp test see where I'm at.

Its just brutal isn't it. I was ill for the last 3 weeks of January and I'm still not back to where I was. My HR is still higher than it should be and my power is still down based on relative efforts. Very frustrating. Was up at about 270w FTP @ 80kg and now I reckon I'm back around 240w FTP. Hopefully I will be fully recovered soon and I can get back to where I was.

Soldato
Well, another year goes by, and Strava tells me I did over 18,000 km in 2023. A pretty stupid amount but I'm enjoying the endorphins. Not much change to the power curve and Intervals.icu and Strava have my estimated FTP at 353W.
Age - 58
Weight - 77.5kg
60 min - 345W, 4.36W/kg
20 min - 373W, 4.65W/kg
5 min - 411W, 5.06W/kg
Still rubbish at sprinting!
These are some really impressive numbers, can i ask how long you've been cycling for? As a complete beginner these seem like impossible numbers for me to ever achieve!

Associate
These are some really impressive numbers, can i ask how long you've been cycling for? As a complete beginner these seem like impossible numbers for me to ever achieve!
Hi, I'm not sure I can currently call myself real cyclist as I don't actually have a bike with wheels. When I first started on a second hand exercise bike in 2016 I'd guess my FTP was around 200W (and I was reasonably fit from swimming at the time). It was 270W by the time I got the SB20 smart trainer in late 2020, 300W pretty soon after, and it has crept up since and plateaued. I've got a bit of a 'go hard or don't bother' approach to exercise, and having the power meters and power curve stuff feeds my inner data geek and helps stop me slacking off.
TBH, I think your genes have so much to do with your potential strength and stamina that it's probably pointless using someone else's performance as a target. I think I'm lucky with the numbers I get, but there are guys out there in completely different leagues and there's no way I could ever match them. Besides, there are plenty of suspicious results on Zwift and I can't be 100% certain my power meters are calibrated in-spec.
So if you're just starting out I'd try to take satisfaction from the gains you make, and if you're trying the racing on Zwift then there's fun to be had in finding out how to get the best results with what you've got.
Hope my journey to insanity was of some interest and encouragement :)

Soldato
Hi, I'm not sure I can currently call myself real cyclist as I don't actually have a bike with wheels. When I first started on a second hand exercise bike in 2016 I'd guess my FTP was around 200W (and I was reasonably fit from swimming at the time). It was 270W by the time I got the SB20 smart trainer in late 2020, 300W pretty soon after, and it has crept up since and plateaued. I've got a bit of a 'go hard or don't bother' approach to exercise, and having the power meters and power curve stuff feeds my inner data geek and helps stop me slacking off.
TBH, I think your genes have so much to do with your potential strength and stamina that it's probably pointless using someone else's performance as a target. I think I'm lucky with the numbers I get, but there are guys out there in completely different leagues and there's no way I could ever match them. Besides, there are plenty of suspicious results on Zwift and I can't be 100% certain my power meters are calibrated in-spec.
So if you're just starting out I'd try to take satisfaction from the gains you make, and if you're trying the racing on Zwift then there's fun to be had in finding out how to get the best results with what you've got.
Hope my journey to insanity was of some interest and encouragement :)
Until now my exercise and fitness has focused around weight lifting, and for the last couple of years brisk daily walks. The bike and zwift are my first real effort at cardio, I am not built to run, and I very much don’t enjoy running, so I can’t ever see myself running. Cycling on the other hand is something I think I can get on with. Trying to find the balance between lifting and cycling and recovery is interesting though so will see how that goes.

Your journey to insanity is definetly of interest, I dred to think how much time you put in each week to get to those levels though! At least it gives me an indicator of capacity to an extent as well. I’m starting off easy that for sure.

Zwift racing intimidates me being only 5 or so sessions in, I’ve watched some beginner YouTube’s doing cat D races and feel I would get destroyed in the first 5-10 minutes, I will give it a try maybe in a few weeks.

Associate
I think it helps not to think of zwift races as being a big deal. Outside of the proper racing leagues everything else has no real impact. If a race looks to be to your taste (distance, elevation and you have time to compete) just jump in and go. The races are tough because the pace tend to be high at the start (maybe 2.5-3w/kg in D for a minute or 2) but will settle down towards 2.0. If you have a big field, there will always be riders at your level to race.

Really there is no difference between a Zwift group ride and a race. Just give it a go! I was similar thoughts and was forever doing 1 more workout, but overall have had better improvements by racing.

Soldato
Those numbers are fantastic wonko, you'd be up there in national champs for your age level posting those. Especially if you could do it in tt position.

Associate
Those numbers are fantastic wonko, you'd be up there in national champs for your age level posting those. Especially if you could do it in tt position.
Thanks, and hopefully you didn't intend fantastic to be read as 'unbelievable' :) I've actually toyed with getting some power meter pedals just to confirm the SB20 numbers, but it would be expensive and I've no real reason to think the cranks are miscalibrated.
I don't really know how I'd compare to IRL racers at various levels, but know that there's much more to real racing than what I do pushing the pedals around on Zwift. Just on the age thing, I've read that your aerobic output doesn't decline that much as you get older (anaerobic output drops off faster). There are loads of Zwifters of all ages that can leave me behind, and I'd bet that would be true IRL events too...
One slightly disturbing thing I've learnt is that your 'cycling age' is the age you reach during the year. Meaning that I'll be in the 60+ category from next January. That can't be right, shirley?

Back
Top Bottom