Powered or Portable Hard drive for XBONE X storage?

Soldato
Hey guys,

What would be the best option for extra storage on my One X? Is there any difference?

Is a powered HD likely to fail any sooner etc.. than a portable one?

Cheers.

Soldato
Hey guys,

What would be the best option for extra storage on my One X? Is there any difference?

Is a powered HD likely to fail any sooner etc.. than a portable one?

Cheers.
I have a usb 1tb and 2tb western digital hard drives in my PS4,can't see any difference between the powered one or usb.

Caporegime
I would say a powered one would be 7200rpm and be faster than a portable 5400rpm one. But how much faster in real world usage, I dunno. I can say that copying something like Doom from the internal drive to a Seagate Expansion (7200rpm 3.5" mains powered) was considerably faster than when I tried it with a Western Digital My Book (5400rpm 2.5" USB powered). Both are USB 3.0 (or USB 3.1 Gen 1 as they call it nowadays).

Soldato
Real world gaming use the difference is minimal as the 5400RPM internal drive uses the internal flash ram to cache the data. But the external drive does not get cached. You could probably put any cheap SSD or HD into an external USB3.0 enclosure & the difference for most games will be minimal. Same as SSD vs HD there is little difference apart from some save games load faster on SSD.

Soldato
Real world gaming use the difference is minimal as the 5400RPM internal drive uses the internal flash ram to cache the data. But the external drive does not get cached. You could probably put any cheap SSD or HD into an external USB3.0 enclosure & the difference for most games will be minimal. Same as SSD vs HD there is little difference apart from some save games load faster on SSD.

Quite often it's shown that external drives are faster than the internal one, not sure what "internal flash RAM" you're talking about though.

Back
Top Bottom