Powerline/wifi extender recommendation

Associate
My daughter has just moved into an old Victorian student house where the WiFi doesn't reach very well.

What do you recommend as a cheap solution to extend the WiFi signal?

I use BT mini adapters for an ethernet connection up on the third floor in the loft.

I'm only on a 30-40mb connection though, no real loss of speed. This is in a 100+year old house too.

I've had a TP-Link AV600 powerline WiFi adapter in the garage for a couple of years which has generally been fine but started to not cope well with large data transfers (it is on a crappy circuit though).
Powerline stuff can be hit and miss...sometimes it works great on some circuits, others can have really bad performance jumping through old circuit boards.
I'd suggest trying to find a cheap 2nd hand powerline WiFi kit, if it works great and if it's still crappy then you've not spent much on it.

Depending on where the router is perhaps some tin foil underneath could act as a cheap signal booster....

Unfortunately I jumped on the Powerline bandwagon, only to learn that it's very hit or miss after buying it from a private seller. So many people, LTT included, harped on how much better it is than wifi, and how essential a wired connection was. Now I learn it has all these caveats. Day 1 it was excellent, 120mbps. Day 2, it's 60, and now as low as 2. Nothing's changed. I even have fewer devices connected. This is a Deco P9. Now I'm being recommended MOCA, which I'm sure will have a bunch of problems turn up after purchase.

Forgot about MoCA but that should be better than powerline as you won't have the noisy mains to screw up the signal. Should also be better point to point connections.
I believe powerline adapters fail over time. Bought a second hand one once to try and help with something which was fine for a year and then started dragging down the network.
I suspect my other devices are slowly degrading since my network goes to crap when pulling data through it, packet loss and latency increases a lot...and then a fridge compressor kicks in and ruins the show completely.

Luckily I'll be moving soon and will get back to hard wiring everything with ethernet.

My daughter has just moved into an old Victorian student house where the WiFi doesn't reach very well.

What do you recommend as a cheap solution to extend the WiFi signal?

A cable. If you can’t get a cable, get her a 4G or 5G router. MoCA is surprisingly good, but if it’s a student house then there roribably aren’t any spare TV antenna ports and powerline is shockingly bad. Even a good kit, like the MikroTik one, is shockingly bad.

I too have found power line adapters to be hit and miss. Trouble is any device plugged into a power socket can affect the signal. I have had better luck sorting my WiFi with multiple access points and a wired backhaul.

I've had a TP-Link AV600 powerline WiFi adapter in the garage for a couple of years which has generally been fine but started to not cope well with large data transfers (it is on a crappy circuit though).
Powerline stuff can be hit and miss...sometimes it works great on some circuits, others can have really bad performance jumping through old circuit boards.
I'd suggest trying to find a cheap 2nd hand powerline WiFi kit, if it works great and if it's still crappy then you've not spent much on it.

Depending on where the router is perhaps some tin foil underneath could act as a cheap signal booster....
Thats what I got TP-link AV1000 I think the number refers to the speed 1000 is a 1gb connection? Either way it works well enough gets quite warm though not sure what the power consumption of these things are. Onboard wifi on the motherboard is flaky as heck so these are working really well with a constant stable ethernet so pleased with that. Got mine 2nd hand via flaeabay

wifi repeater would probably do the job seeing as it reaches but not well, I do this and achieve 1Gb wifi link between floors.

I used to run av2000 powerline but it would knock out my internet due to its RF noise, it was fine on slow connections I had but once I was on GFast, it was useless.

Back
Top Bottom