Pre-installing Chipset drivers - Need help

Soldato
Hey guys, just got my new ssd and I want to update my sata drivers and alike but because I have AHCI enabled they have to be preinstalled via a floppy and I can't find my usb stick anywhere so I was wondering if it's possible to use a CD and if so how?

Using the MSI GD65 B3 mobo. Trying to install intel sata drivers.

Cheers.

Caporegime
Hey guys, just got my new ssd and I want to update my sata drivers and alike but because I have AHCI enabled they have to be preinstalled via a floppy and I can't find my usb stick anywhere so I was wondering if it's possible to use a CD and if so how?

Using the MSI GD65 B3 mobo. Trying to install intel sata drivers.

Cheers.

they dont have to if its win7,just set to ahci mode in bios before you install windows and it will do the rest for you,then just update drivers with the intel rst ones

Soldato
OP
This is what it says in the readme. Do you mean to say that in W7 you don't have this problem but in vista you do?

If you are installing the operating system on a system
configured for RAID or AHCI mode, you must pre-install
the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver using the
F6 installation method described in section 5.3.

---------------------------

5.3 Pre-Installation Using the F6 Method.

Note: The Steps 1 and 2 can be skipped if you use the F6 Floppy
disk utility provided by Intel. These methods
are applicable to systems configured for RAID or
AHCI mode.

1. Extract all driver files from the installation package.
See section 7.2 for instructions on extracting the
files.

2. Create a floppy* containing the following files in the root
directory:
iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat,
iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat,
iaStor.sys, and
TxtSetup.oem.

* Note: For Windows Vista*, you can use a floppy, CD/DVD or USB.

3. For Microsoft Windows XP*:

- At the beginning of the operating system installation,
press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

- When prompted, select 'S' to Specify Additional Device.

- Continue to step 5.

4. For Microsoft Windows Vista*:

- During the operating system installation, after selecting the
location to install Vista, click Load Driver to
install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

- Continue to step 5.

5. When prompted, insert the media (floppy, CD/DVD
or USB) you created in step 2 and press Enter.

6. At this point you should be presented with a selection
for one of the controllers listed in the Overview (Section 1)
of this document depending on your hardware version and
configuration.

7. Highlight the selection that is appropriate for the
hardware in your system and press Enter.

8. Press Enter again to continue. Leave the floppy disk in
the system until the next reboot as the software will
need to be copied from the floppy disk again when setup
is copying files.

Last edited:
Associate
Later the windows version the more the drivers so yeah Vista will have more issues over Windows 7.
Anyway the read me tells you all that you need to know about it, also you don't have to install windows with AHCI enabled, stick it into compatibility mode.

Soldato
OP
I have an SSD though so I did want to install windows in AHCI mode and would have had to have done registry edits to change it later on. Not really sure what you mean when you say compatibility mode though. Do you mean safe mode?

What I basically want to know is, can I install this driver straight from windows without having to do the pre-install stuff because I don't have USB to hand to do it with annoyingly.

Caporegime
What I basically want to know is, can I install this driver straight from windows without having to do the pre-install stuff because I don't have USB to hand to do it with annoyingly.

Yes you can.

Just set your BIOS SATA mode to AHCI, disconnect any other SSDs/HDDs apart from the SSD you're installing Windows to, install Windows 7 and it'll sort out the drivers without having to pre-install anything.

Soldato
OP
Well I've already installed windows 7 that way so that's good. So I can now just update my chipset drivers despite them saying I have to do it differently if AHCI is on? This read me is not written very clearly.

Caporegime
Well I've already installed windows 7 that way so that's good. So I can now just update my chipset drivers despite them saying I have to do it differently if AHCI is on? This read me is not written very clearly.

I don't see that it makes any difference.

All that stuff you quoted above is for installing drivers during the Windows installation.

As you've already installed Windows you can install whatever you want now the same as you would on any system.

IDE/AHCI/RAID mode makes no difference to how you install drivers from within Windows.

Soldato
OP
Well the read me saying "you must pre-install", which kind of implies that you can't just install them from windows if you have AHCI mode.

If you are installing the operating system on a system
configured for RAID or AHCI mode, you must pre-install
the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver using the
F6 installation method described in section 5.3.

Doesn't really give me much hope for installing them straight from windows and not bricking my drivers.

Back
Top Bottom