• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PREDATOR BIFROST Intel® Arc™ A770 16GB OC ACER Graphics Card

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm using one of these with ASPM enabled, my experience with another arc a770 card the Phantom using the same system setup, it would down-clock and use less wattage at IDLE. The Bifrost seems to be locked at 33Watt in IDLE regardless of settings within the BIOS and maximum savings on PCIe being enabled in power settings.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to lower the IDLE power consumption?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Is it like my amd card with the vram clocked high if using say 75hz but goes ok and very low if you set to 60hz on ur monitor.

Yeah I think over 60hz can cause that issue, but I'm on 4K @ 60Hz, supposedly should down clock. My other Arc card does this. Starting to think this issue is the card firmware itself.

Man of Honour
Thanks, yeah tried those. It drops the power consumption of the other card, Arc Phantom, but the Predator Bifrost seems to be stuck at 33w. Maybe it needs a BIOS fix from ACER.
There's a post on reddit that says you're correct.

Acer's cliente support has just replied to my query about the ASPM function. It has been confirmed that the BiFrost A770 does NOT support the PCI-E ASPM L1 state idle power saving mode, just like the ASRock variants.

Actually I have acquired a custom BIOS earlier that has proper ASPM functionality from the cliente support of my motherboard's vendor (Gigabyte) through their eSupport service, but no matter how I tried different combinations of BIOS settings, the GPU core power consumption just always stays at 30W when idle.

I have been frustrated for quite a while until few days ago I saw some redditor shared a comment here that it is confirmed ASRock's Arc GPUs don't support this feature due to different PCB design. Therefore I went to Acer's website to seek for the answer as well, and just now I got the answer, a disappointing one, though.

I'd have no luck with reading the original source though:
Here you can see the reply from Acer. It's in Mandarin Chinese language. It's written in Traditional Chinese.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Tetras, hopefully Acer make a BIOS update for this GPU. It's a fair amount of power consumption at IDLE. It's in a second PC so it's not crucial but if this was a 24/7 system, having that much power being used would be such a waste of energy.

Come on Acer release a fix please.

Back
Top Bottom