1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prescription swimming goggles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Destination, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Destination

Capodecina

Prescription swimming goggles
    Has anyone purchases full prescription swimming goggles, rather than ones which estimate to nearest dioptre and don't help with astigmatism?

I've had a look online and price seem to range from £80 upwards to £150.
    Anyone bought cheaper or has company they would recommend?

Do specsavers do full prescription or just the nearest dioptre stuff, the person in store wasn't entirely clear when i phoned?

2. Buddy

Wise Guy

Wear lenses. But normal goggles over top. Problem solved. That's what I've done lots of times with out any issue.

3. Destination

Capodecina

Been twenty years since I wore lenses.
    That is what i used to do.
    Really don't think i could be bothered with getting used to them again.

4. mattcrane

Hitman

Although thats exactly what I do I am constantly being told off by my optician, the problem is if you get a significant amount of water in your goggles and it gets behind the lens it can contain a specific bacteria which can destroy the optic nerve within something stupid like 48hrs if not treated quickly, what she suggests is wearing one set of lenses to swim then change them out for a fresh pair once you are finished, obviously though this can be very expensive.

I swim a mile every day and have yet to have a problem just wearing one pair.

Didn't even look at prescription goggles as that would mean having to wear glasses to drive to the pool and home then putting in lenses which sounds like too much aggro to me :)

5. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

That is really risky, if you get a splash of water in your eye with contacts in you could get that bug that literally eats your eye!

6. [YG]Bug-Eyed

Gangster

Surely only if you don’t change or wash contacts when you get out? I use daily disposables and just bin them when I come out.

7. Malevolence

Capodecina

And what about those of us who can't wear lenses due to a medical condition?

8. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

No, if the bacteria gets in your eye the damage will start immediately, regardless of whether you take the lenses out or not. Why take the risk?

9. Buddy

Wise Guy

Well you've answered your own question then?

Anyway, I've found if goggles are tightly secured no water gets in. Sure it's a pain so appreciate why op wants a more robust solution.

10. Jester*

Wise Guy

Get eyes lasered.

Buy normal goggles. Problem solved :D

11. mattcrane

Hitman

And then what? Do you put another set of dailies in? Thats just stupidly expensive 2 sets of lenses a day......

12. Dis86

Capodecina

Why do you need prescription goggles? Surely all you need to see is that thick black/Blue line under you?
    Maybe the backstroke flags above.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  13. x-st

Wise Guy

How much astigmatism do you have? Most people get by with a best vision approximation. Also, if you're short sighted and do a lot of swimming perhaps you could consider Eye Dream/Ortho-keratology.

14. tek81

Wise Guy

I used to wear lenses for cycling and swimming. Then, rather foolishly, I slept in them and ended up with a terrible eye infection. I can now no longer wear lenses. With that in mind, my advice is; bionic eyeballs.

15. Zenith

Wise Guy

Have you tried the speedo mariner goggles? I have slight astigmatism but I’ve found them to be great. Even if they’re not quite perfect does it matter for swimming anyway?

16. jpaul

Soldato

look in swimming thread - have disscussed several times

[​IMG]

17. CREATIVE!11

Soldato

20 years is a long time, they've changed a lot.

These days they are made of fancy new materials and fairly thin. You don't even really notice once they are in aside odd little bit of dry eyes.

18. Destination

Capodecina

Is this not simple a separate diopter lens as one can get all over the place, i don't see anywhere to correct cylinder or axis in this prescription.
    I have a set of diopter goggles, I want something more accurate.

19. jpaul

Soldato

ymmv works ok for a 180degree axis 0.25cyl ... can see jellyfish / the clock / nail-varnish colour ;)

20. Rimsy

Mobster

I wear dailies when in the sea and immediately take them out once out of the sea... Like countless others have had no issue doing this for many years. Guess if you don't wear glasses and insist on wearing contacts then this could end up expensive but that's personal choice