Prince Andrew not served papers as they were handed to his police security.

Caporegime
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58527909

So Prince Andrew team are now claiming he hasn't been served papers because he has hidden behind police officers who would not let the sever past and instead took the papers.

The server had no ability to over ride the police so is this effectively the police protecting Andrew from legal procedures?

I feel these papers should be served now by being forcibly stapled to his forehead

He was advised the papers could be left with police at the main gates, and they would be forwarded to the legal team.

The papers state: "The deponent did enquire whether it was possible to meet personally with the defendant, but the deponent was told that this was not possible."

Ms Giuffre's legal team claim that by leaving the papers with the officer, the service was successfully completed.

Asked whether the prince had received the papers and if he accepted they had been served, a spokeswoman representing the prince said: "No comment."

Caporegime
OP
IIRC papers can be served to the person or that persons representative, or even depending on which part of US law (states have differing ones and they even differ on the reason for serving) you're working under simply to the address or any person who is working at that address.
I think you can also in some instances do it by say taping the papers to the front door (often how notices of eviction are handled) or under the wipers of their vehicle, taking photos to prove you have done it.

I strongly suspect that if the persons security won't allow you to get close to them, then handing them to that persons security detail could very well be classed as served - otherwise all you ever need to do is keep a couple of big bouncers to stop you from ever receiving them.
Andrew can't claim he's unaware of the attempts to serve papers, and if it comes down to it I wouldn't be surprised if they get a court order that says they just have to give them to his legal address or representatives via any means that can be proven (at which point you send them by mail with proof of postage to every one of his lawyers, the firm's address, his registered address, his formal office etc).

It seems its very different when that security is the pffical uk police force though as they aren't a representative

Caporegime
OP
There is a very good chance she was under US law, IIRC you can be classed as trafficked for just getting a ride over state lines if the intent is for you to have sex or other "immoral" purposes, she was also a minor in US law and I think they've got some rules that basically say anything sex related that is a federal crime in the US can also be applied if you as an American citizen do it in another country (I think we've got similar laws) specifically to deal with sex tourism/child exploitation and trafficking.
I think one of the things Epstein was facing was the charge that he'd been organising sex with people under the US age of consent and been doing outside of the US.

If for example the claim is that Epstein facilitated her travel to meet Prince Andrew then that would likely under US law be classed as sex trafficking/immoral purposes and make Andrey an accessary or conspirator depending on how much he knew and when.

^This is about right

Her case claims Prince Andrew, 61, engaged in sexual acts without Ms Giuffre's consent, including when she was 17, knowing how old she was, and "that she was a sex-trafficking victim".

Also her age is relevant as it means he can't defend it as claiming she was a hired sex worker provided for entertainment by Epstein.

Back
Top Bottom