Private / NHS dentist question

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I'm currently registered with an NHS dentist. He has very long waiting times and only operates for 4 hours a day. I've lost two fillings and want them dealt with pretty soon.

Will I be able to go to a private dentist, pay the costs to have my fillings sorted + general teeth polish while still being registered with my NHS dentist? Or do I need to leave my dentist and then register privately (something I don't want to do).

Thanks

Associate
Some Dentists sign you up to Dent-Plan, you pay up to £45 a month and that takes care of 90% of treatments.
Your Dentist might other a similar paid for service service.
My private dentist is not NHS registered, but so far have had excellent service from a very good dentist.

Caporegime
since no one has actually answered your question:

yes (AFAIK)

they don't work like GPs - you can register at a private practice, get the fillings dealt with and it has nothing to do with your registration at your NHS dentist, you're just dealing with a private business. I'm registered with a local dentist and am still getting spammed about followups from a dentist in the city I went to once.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
OP
Some Dentists sign you up to Dent-Plan, you pay up to £45 a month and that takes care of 90% of treatments.
Your Dentist might other a similar paid for service service.
My private dentist is not NHS registered, but so far have had excellent service from a very good dentist.

That seems quite expensive if you're a normal routine patient - £550 a year for two checks up + polish/hygiene and maybe a filling. If you have issues which require regular /more extensive work then it makes sense.

If the NHS dentist is also private, can you not queue jump by opting to pay privately?

This.

If he's only 4 hours a day NHS, he'll be doing private work for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately he doesn't offer a private service. The reason he's 4 hours is because he's 'semi-retired'.

since no one has actually answered your question:

yes (AFAIK)

they don't work like GPs - you can register at a private practice, get the fillings dealt with and it has nothing to do with your registration at your NHS dentist, you're just dealing with a private business. I'm registered with a local dentist and am still getting spammed about followups from a dentist in the city I went to once.

Thanks - will call the local private ones tomorrow.

Soldato
You generally will not lose your NHS registration but having a private treatment elsewhere.
The NHS mig also do private work, if he does might be worth contacting to see if they will see you sooner privately.
Else get the stuff sorted elsewhere and go back to the NHS for your next checkup when it is due.

Back
Top Bottom