Pro Cycling Discussion 2018

Soldato
I wish Kwiato would be like Sagan and try to win everything instead of this GC stuff

He is an absolute asset to Sky as we have seen so many times..... but I think he is wasted there as a talent. I don't think he could be like a Sagan, don't think he has the sprint, but I do think somewhere like Quickstep would be a super cool home for him as we would get to see him ride. My dream would be to see him at Trek though with the next up and coming hard man, Jasper Stuyven. I think that pair would be a wrecking machine through cow **** and cobble country if teamed properly.

I think Kwiato was allowed to unleash the fury at SanRemo & Strada for being a good little worker ant for his GC team in 2017 so he is at the arse end of the season passed his dues now.

Soldato
Nibali recced it earlier in the year and called as steep as a MTB course. Will be brilliant to see the climbers get a chance for once

Did you see the video of the Italian team riding it? Climb looked ridiculous aka awesome.
I think it was also chilly and wet (being Norway). So the video of Italians actually outside riding in such conditions caught me off guard.

Associate
Me again :D is there any sort of service of shop that helps position/adjust your bike to your fit, bought a used Ribble but feel like something's not right and needs adjusting and wanna make sure I don't hurt myself :/

Soldato
Me again :D is there any sort of service of shop that helps position/adjust your bike to your fit, bought a used Ribble but feel like something's not right and needs adjusting and wanna make sure I don't hurt myself :/

Wrong thread (unless you're a pro cyclist?) but you want a bike fit. Visit or ring round your local bike shops - should be able to find one for probably £50 to £100 for a basic session. If you want bells & whistles with computer analysis and assessment, you'll pay much more.

Associate
Wrong thread (unless you're a pro cyclist?) but you want a bike fit. Visit or ring round your local bike shops - should be able to find one for probably £50 to £100 for a basic session. If you want bells & whistles with computer analysis and assessment, you'll pay much more.
Thanks, and sorry, completely forgot I was on this thread d'oh

Soldato
Anyone watching the euros?

Watched the end of the men's omnium yesterday Looked like a great display by hayter. To beat world and Olympic champ is good going. But then as a younger rider and probably not known so well by gaviroa he was allowed opportunities you wouldn't normally get. Signed up with sky already for the road.

Soldato
Women’s European title RR.

Not entirely sure what The Netherlands team tactics were in the last 15km.

Had 2 of 5 up the road but sit on the front driving it inc Vos.

Then they have 1 of 2 up the road, still drive the bunch pace.

Bring it all back for a sprint, 3 riders lined up perfect on the front for a lead out, Vos down in about 7th not on their wheel, sprints for second, Italian woman convincingly wins.

Soldato
The men's points race was a bit bonkers. The Polish guy who won ended up with over 100 points after gaining 4 laps and winning a few sprint points along the way.

Soldato

Bring it all back for a sprint, 3 riders lined up perfect on the front for a lead out, Vos down in about 7th not on their wheel, sprints for second, Italian woman convincingly wins.

Bizarre from the Dutch. I think the pre-race meeting must have been... "Tactics? There are no tactics"

The red button commentary was dire before Brotherton and Boardman took over

Soldato
OP
Just been looking at the course for the World Champs at the end of September.

Mens RR route:

https://www.innsbruck-tirol2018.com/en/races-courses/races-courses/road-race/

Some nasty spikes on the circuits they finish on, though not Alp-esq in individual length. I wonder if G fancies his chances?
I thought it was one more for the punchy guys, yet hard enough that the rouleur types might struggle. Should be a good test for Sagan if he wants to retain the jersey, but if anyone can, Sag-can! (*groan*).

Anyone got a link to the route on a better platform to look at profile & gradients? Strava/rwgps/mapmyride etc?

Got Alaphilippe written all over it or “J” if I want to get with common parlance.
Pffft, Geraint is only 'G' as phonetically the vast majority of english speakers, nevermind foreigners, fail to pronounce Geraint correctly. There's quite a large paragraph in his book about it. Pretty sure most of us can pronounce Julian. ;)

Did you see the video of the Italian team riding it? Climb looked ridiculous aka awesome.
I think it was also chilly and wet (being Norway). So the video of Italians actually outside riding in such conditions caught me off guard.
Saw it, Nibali made it look easy, but whoever he was riding wit really struggled. Think one of them was even doing a Latour seated 'bob' up there? :D ;)

Soldato

Yep, tactics seemed a bit odd by the Dutch.

I was in Glasgow to see it. It's such a great route for spectating! Like a big crit race, it's quite short so they need to do lot of laps and the layout means it's not far from one side of the loop to the other so you can move and see them pass twice each lap.
You get to see so much of the racing that you really get a feel for what's happening. You see the breaks happening and you can see how the time gaps between groups change.

If you havn't been to see a big race before, get yourself to Glasgow next weekend - it's well worth the trip!

AUT KRIZEK Matthias
AUT RABITSCH Stephan
AZE JABRAYILOV Samir
BLR BAZHKOU Stanislau
BLR KIRYIENKA Vasil
BLR PAPOK Siarhei
BLR RIABUSHENKO Aleksandr
BLR SAMOILAU Branislau
BLR SHUMOV Nikolai
BLR SIUTSOU Kanstantsin
BLR SOBAL Yauhen
BEL CLAEYS Dimitri
BEL DE BUYST Jasper
BEL DE GENDT Aime
BEL MEURISSE Xandro
BEL STUYVEN Jasper
BEL VAN AERT Wout
BEL VAN AVERMAET Greg
BEL VAN DER SANDE Tosh
BEL VAN GESTEL Dries
BEL WALLAYS Jelle
CZE BÁRTA Jan
CZE CERNÝ Josef
CZE HACECKÝ Vojtech
CZE HAMPL Petr
CZE HNÍK Karel
CZE KANKOVSKÝ Alois
CZE POLNICKÝ Jirí
CZE SISR FrantišEk
CZE ŠTYBAR Zdenek
CZE ZAHÁLKA Matej
DEN ASGREEN Kasper
DEN HANSEN Lasse Norman
DEN KAMP Alexander
DEN MORKOV Michael
DEN NIELSEN Magnus Cort
DEN PEDERSEN Casper Phillip
DEN PEDERSEN Mads
DEN SVENDGAARD Michael Carbel
EST JAKIN Alo
EST LAAS Martin
EST NÕMMELA Aksel
EST RÄIM Mihkel
FRA BOUHANNI Nacer
FRA COQUARD Jules
FRA DUMOULIN Samuel
FRA GOUGEARD Alexis
FRA HOFSTETTER Hugo
FRA LAPORTE Christophe
FRA LE BON Johan
FRA MADOUAS Valentin
FRA PERICHON Pierre Luc
FRA TOUZE Damien
FRA TULIK Angelo
FRA TURGIS Anthony
GER DEGENKOLB John
GER DENZ Nico
GER GREIPEL André
GER HUPPERTZ Joshua
GER KLUGE Roger
GER KOCH Jonas
GER KRIEGER Alexander
GER MEISEN Marcel
GER SIEBERG Marcel
GER SÜTTERLIN Jasha
GER ZABEL Rick
GBR BIBBY Ian
GBR BLYTHE Adam
GBR CAVENDISH Mark
GBR CHRISTIAN Mark
GBR DIBBEN Jonathan
GBR DOULL Owain
GBR LAWLESS Christopher
GBR MCLAY Daniel
GBR ROWE Luke
GBR STANNARD Ian
GBR SWIFT Ben
GBR THWAITES Scott
GRE FARANTAKIS Stylianos
GRE TZORTZAKIS Polychronis
IRL DEIGNAN Philip
IRL DOWNEY Mark
IRL DUNBAR Edward
IRL DUNNE Conor
IRL MARTIN Daniel
IRL MCCARTHY Robert-Jon
IRL MCKENNA Sean
IRL MULLEN Ryan
IRL SHAW Damien
IRL TEGGART Matthew
ITA BALLERINI Davide
ITA CANOLA Marco
ITA CIMOLAI Davide
ITA COLBRELLI Sonny
ITA CONSONNI Simone
ITA GUARNIERI Jacopo
ITA PASQUALON Andrea
ITA PUCCIO Salvatore
ITA TRENTIN Matteo
ITA VIVIANI Elia
LAT BOGDANOVICS Maris
LAT FLAKSIS Andzs
LAT LIEPINS Emils
LAT NEILANDS Krists
LAT SARAMOTINS Aleksejs
LAT SKUJINS Toms
LAT SMUKULIS Gatis
LAT VOSEKALNS Andris
LTU BAGDONAS Gediminas
LTU NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas
LUX CENTRONE Ivan
LUX DIDIER Laurent
LUX DIEDERICH Tim
LUX GASTAUER Ben
LUX KIRSCH Alex
LUX PETELIN Jan
LUX SCHLECHTER Pit
LUX THILL Tom
LUX VALVASORI Larry
LUX WIRTGEN Luc
NED DE KORT Koen
NED HOFLAND Moreno
NED KAMP Ryan
NED LAMMERTINK Maurits
NED LANGEVELD Sebastian
NED RIESEBEEK Oscar
NED VAN BAARLE Dylan
NED VAN DER POEL Mathieu
NED VAN POPPEL Boy
NED WEENING Pieter
NOR BYSTRØM Sven Erik
NOR EIKING Odd Christian
NOR ENGER Sondre Holst
NOR HALVORSEN Kristoffer
NOR HOELGAARD Daniel
NOR JENSEN August
NOR KRISTOFF Alexander
NOR LAENGEN Vegard Stake
NOR TILLER Rasmus Fossum
POL BANASZEK Alan
POL BERNAS Pawel
POL DOMAGALSKI Karol
POL FRANCZAK Pawel
POL GOLAS Michal
POL GRADEK Kamil
POL JANISZEWSKI Sylwester
POL KOMAR Mateusz
POL PATERSKI Maciej
POL SAJNOK Szymon
POL STEPNIAK Grzegorz
POR FARIA DA COSTA Rui Alberto
POR MATOS Nuno
POR VILELA Ricardo
ROU GROSU Eduard Michael
ROU PRIA Lars
RUS EVTUSHENKO Alexander
RUS FROLOV Igor
RUS KUZNETSOV Viacheslav
RUS OVECHKIN Artem
RUS PORSEV Alexander
RUS STASH Mamyr
RUS STRAKHOV Dmitrii
SVK CANECKY Marek
SVK CULLY Jan Andrej
SVK HARING Martin
SVK MAHDAR Martin
SVK MÁLIK Róbert
SVK MALOVEC Lubos
SVK SAGAN Peter
SVK TYBOR Patrik
SLO BOLE Grega
SLO BOZIC Borut
SLO KOREN Kristijan
SLO KOROŠEC Rok
SLO KUMP Marko
SLO MEZGEC Luka
SLO MOHORIC Matej
SLO PER David
SLO PIBERNIK Luka
SLO TRATNIK Jan
ESP BAGUES KALPARSORO Aritz
ESP BIZKARRA ETXEGIBEL Mikel
ESP BRAVO OIARBIDE Garikoitz
ESP DE LA PARTE Victor
ESP GARCIA CORTINA Ivan
ESP HERRADA Jesus
ESP HERRADA Jose
ESP LOBATO DEL VALLE Juan Jose
ESP MATE MARDONES Luis Angel
ESP PRADES REVERTER Eduard
ESP SAEZ BENITO Hector
ESP SERRANO RODRIGUEZ Gonzalo
SWE ERIKSSON Lucas
SWE HÖÖG Gustav
SWE LARSEN Richard
SWE LUDVIGSSON Tobias
SWE MAGNUSSON Kim
SUI ALBASINI Michael
SUI IMHOF Claudio
SUI LIENHARD Fabian
SUI PAGE Dylan
SUI PELLAUD Simon
SUI SPENGLER Lukas
SUI STÜSSI Colin Chris
SUI THALMANN Roland
UKR GRIVKO Andrey
UKR HOLOVASH Oleksandr
UKR POLIVODA Oleksandr
UKR VASYLIEV Maksym

Soldato
Pffft, Geraint is only 'G' as phonetically the vast majority of english speakers, nevermind foreigners, fail to pronounce Geraint correctly. There's quite a large paragraph in his book about it. Pretty sure most of us can pronounce Julian. ;)

I think most adults can cope with pronouncing Thomas though which is how he should be referred to by commentators that aren't flagwaving fanbois.

Soldato
Not a chance. Although looking around looks like they've already committed him to it. He'll probably fall off and break it again at some point.

Soldato
He is an absolute asset to Sky as we have seen so many times..... but I think he is wasted there as a talent. I don't think he could be like a Sagan, don't think he has the sprint, but I do think somewhere like Quickstep would be a super cool home for him as we would get to see him ride. My dream would be to see him at Trek though with the next up and coming hard man, Jasper Stuyven. I think that pair would be a wrecking machine through cow **** and cobble country if teamed properly.

I think Kwiato was allowed to unleash the fury at SanRemo & Strada for being a good little worker ant for his GC team in 2017 so he is at the arse end of the season passed his dues now.

San remo where he he outsprinted Sagan....

He's out of the same mould imo. Could turn his hand to anything successfully. Is kind of a shame he doesn't race for himself a bit more often.

Back
Top Bottom