Pro Cycling Discussion 2018

Soldato
OP
Deceuninck – Quick-Step
Is the name of the team for next year.
Well that's catchy lol

To be fair it took most commentators until the Vuleta to even call 'Cannondale' 'Education-First-Drapac-Sponsored-by-Cannondale' or whatever lol. EF-Drapac was what most settled on but everyone still called them Cannondale.

Poor G, he's had his TdF trophy stolen from the Cycle Show.
Hope that's insured!

Soldato
OP
ROFL Perfect domestique. #frenchies

Bet the commissionaires said nothing about it.

Anyone else spot this: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...ance-events-part-new-rapha-sponsorship-396678

Riders from WorldTour team EF Education First-Drapac are set to ride a series of “alternative” events such as the Three Peaks cyclo cross race and the Transcontinental ultra-endurance race, as part of the team’s new partnership with clothing brand Rapha.

James Fairbank, central marketing director of Rapha, said the “alternative calendar”, as its being called, “was built out of the WorldTour calendar being so confusing”.
:eek::confused::rolleyes::p

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Exactly. So how from that have CW determined that the 'Central Marketing Director' of Rapha thinks the WT Calendar is 'confusing'?! All they're doing is exposing their sponsorship to other cycling events with high profile Pro riders at the 'end of their season'.

But then again, is he one of the new bodies used to understanding supermarkets and not cycling. Entirely likely! Just sounded a bit of a stupid thing to say to me from a Rapha 'employee'. :rolleyes:

Soldato
He's handy.
I screenshotted his data from a previous hill climb the other week to use as motivation as it was around the 12 min mark also in line with what I done Saturday.... I was less w/kg of course :p

400w for 60KG is exceptional. 345w is my ceiling at 59KG, I genuinely do not believe I could ever do 400w for 10+ mins. No amount of training will get me that.

Soldato
I got moaned at off a guy on Sunday saying I should be riding the tour doing 400w 1 minute on/off efforts. I've made my Strava private from now on and only keeping it for a diary of sorts.

Did you see photos on Facebook @xdcx ? I think there was one from Saturday and two from Sunday or the other way round.

Soldato
OP
He's handy.
I screenshotted his data from a previous hill climb the other week to use as motivation as it was around the 12 min mark also in line with what I done Saturday.... I was less w/kg of course :p

400w for 60KG is exceptional. 345w is my ceiling at 59KG, I genuinely do not believe I could ever do 400w for 10+ mins. No amount of training will get me that.
Yup, he's very data driven is a very good Strava follow if you like that side of it. Nice chap too! May have dragged him towards the local 30%+ climb I do as he knows the area from riding a race series there a couple of years ago, but didn't know about that climb.

His vlog (YouTube) is great too, he's a prolific video-er (think those are the correct terms?! :p) and there's lots of climbs in there with data overlays. He also explains much of his training/coaching and structure too. I've taken to watching him more than I have GCN recently as they've been coming out with some utter dirge.

I got moaned at off a guy on Sunday saying I should be riding the tour doing 400w 1 minute on/off efforts. I've made my Strava private from now on and only keeping it for a diary of sorts.
You're that concerned over your data?! Should've just told him to MTFU! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
@Jonny ///M - Yeah seen them on cycling photography scotland pal, cheers. I am doing a blog thing now with write ups from the 2 days so will link them on race reports thread when done :)

@Roady - I have seen a couple of his YT videos and follow him on Twitter and he seems a nice guy.
Regards GCN, I have always cringed when watching it but just read elsewhere people complaining it has gone massively downhill so looks like you echo what a lot of people are thinking about it these days....

Soldato
Well next years Tour route looks amazing!

Agree'd. The only thing it is missing is a classics stylee cobble stage like the Roubaix stage last year. If they could have incorporated that exact stage for 2019 it would have been the absolute perfect TdF route in my opinion.

They will do some cobbles on the Grand Depart stage in Belgium (which looks/sounds pretty awesome). And there is a dirt road hill top finish ramping 20% on one of the earlier stages as well if I remember right.

The power meter banning nonsense needs to GTFO though!

Soldato
Agree'd. The only thing it is missing is a classics stylee cobble stage like the Roubaix stage last year. If they could have incorporated that exact stage for 2019 it would have been the absolute perfect TdF route in my opinion.

They will do some cobbles on the Grand Depart stage in Belgium (which looks/sounds pretty awesome). And there is a dirt road hill top finish ramping 20% on one of the earlier stages as well if I remember right.

The power meter banning nonsense needs to GTFO though!

That's up the Planche Des Belles Fille where I watched last year. The roads round there are almost dirt tracks anyway so you wouldn't notice the difference! :D Great climb.

Agreed on the cobbles but you can't have everything. Didn't see Prudhomme talking about PM banning. Can't see it happening. All the teams need/want them.

Soldato
Comes across as a bit of a dick tbh. There would be no teams and pro cycling full stop without equipment sponsors so slagging one off is a bit out of order.

He's got a gob on him. I thought he was a knobber before the slating of the team bikes that Roady linked but then when all that kicked off it just re-affirmed what I thought. Gobby knobber.

Back
Top Bottom