Pro Cycling Discussion 2022

Soldato
So the season is almost upon us and it looks like normality is almost resumed, yes some early season races have been cut, but the big ones look like they'll be going ahead on time.

Big races start with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne Brussels Kuurne on 26th and 27th Feb, Strade Bianche on 5th March, Milan San Remo on 19th March, Tour of Flanders on 3rd April and Paris Roubaix on the 17th ( a week later than usual due to french elections).

Three grand tours are

Giro D'Italia 6th to 29th MAy
Tour De France 1st to 24th July
La Vuelta A Espana 19th August to 9th September

World Championships are due to be held in Australia between 18th and 25th of September, but with current restrictions there is a lot of talk of this being moved.

With Australia being in the news recently one big thing to come off the back of Djokovic's recent case is that Macron has announced no sports people without vaccinations will not be allowed to participate, so this could see people like Sagan (who I believe stated was not being vaccinated) not riding Le Tour. But will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Finally there is one big CX race to go - the world championships in Fayetteville, Arkensas on the last weekend in January, and with two big names from last year on the road not competing (WvA and MvdP) it should be a bit more open in the mens race, I'm hoping for a Pidcock win and also excited what he can do in his second year on the road. I also hope and expect Zoe Backstedt and Cam Mason are up there fighting for gold in their respective races, and hope it's a bit of a mudfest for Hattie Harnden to go smash it up in the U23s.

Soldato
OP
Should, but things can happen. I really hope Mason can get the better of Pim Ronhaar, and hopefully no ill effects from Backstedt having COVID. Be interesting to see how the US do with such a big team compared to everyone else.

Soldato
OP
You get a tenner off if you're a BC member. Hear a lot of people moving towards discovery+ and sports as GCN is quite unreliable at times.

Soldato
Sounds like potentially life changing injuries for Egan Bernal while on a team training ride in Columbia. Rumours on twitter that he collided with a stationary vehicle but I guess we will know more about his condition over the next few days.

Really sad news though, and a timely reminder of how dangerous road cycling can be.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like potentially life changing injuries for Egan Bernal while on a team training ride in Columbia. Rumours on twitter that he collided with a stationary vehicle but I guess we will know more about his condition over the next few days.

Really sad news though, and a timely reminder of how dangerous road cycling can be.

Yeah not good, sounded all so innocuous yesterday, but sounds much more complex now. Hope he mends up well.

CX worlds already have some casualties due to covid with half the italian team not going as well as the previous winner of the only event held there Quentin Hermanns who raced on Sunday as well as Betsema and Worst who came second and third in the womens race last year. Anna Kay also not going after hitting her head in warm up on Sunday and having potential concussion ,although she did race and pulled out half way through in tears on Sunday which once again calls into question the capability and robustness of Concussion protocols.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Big shame about Bernal such a talent and he has such bad bad luck wish him all the best. That photo of him digging after his mucker dragged him around the stage is a classic.

Soldato
OP
2 golds and one bronze, not a bad result considering there were more Belgian elite men than our whole squad!

Amazing rides by both zoe backstedt and Tom pidcock, both absolutely dominant over the rest of the field. And even better from Nathan Smith I'd say considering he hadn't ridden the bike he rode before yesterday after the ribble couldn't get uci approval.

Nice of sven nys to loan it to him!

Best bit was seeing the Belgians implode in the elite men.

Soldato
2 golds and one bronze, not a bad result considering there were more Belgian elite men than our whole squad!

Amazing rides by both zoe backstedt and Tom pidcock, both absolutely dominant over the rest of the field. And even better from Nathan Smith I'd say considering he hadn't ridden the bike he rode before yesterday after the ribble couldn't get uci approval.

Nice of sven nys to loan it to him!

Best bit was seeing the Belgians implode in the elite men.
Pidcock's was a stunning performance. Deciding where to focus his career could be an issue as he seems to be good at everything. Spring classics and then the Giro seems to be his schedule this year.

Soldato
OP
Pidcock's was a stunning performance. Deciding where to focus his career could be an issue as he seems to be good at everything. Spring classics and then the Giro seems to be his schedule this year.
Hasn't harmed wva to date. Think at such a young age its probably a good thing to allow him to give it all a go before the inevitable move towards grand tours and the year long focus that appears to require.

Soldato
OP
Valenciana and Saudi tours have both been good watches so far. Yesterday was great for both races if you've not caught them. Big names in both, but the real races aren't far away now.

Soldato
OP
Cav back on it straight away. Tour de la Provence was amazing today, if you have GCN well worth watching the final 75km or so to see it splitting apart over and over. Even the last 10k was great to watch.

Soldato
OP
and he went from a long way out! Lefevre would be stupid not to take him if he carries on winning, he has a better relationship with Morkov who is without doubt the best lead out man in the world atm, the publicity if he broke the record would be worth as much as multiple stage wins for Jakobsen.

Soldato
and he went from a long way out! Lefevre would be stupid not to take him if he carries on winning, he has a better relationship with Morkov who is without doubt the best lead out man in the world atm, the publicity if he broke the record would be worth as much as multiple stage wins for Jakobsen.

Yeah I think it was on Lantern Rouge that said he held over 1100W for a touch over 20secs :eek:

Back
Top Bottom