Soldato
My new dodgy build will not post.

Not the spec in sig, spec is..

AMD Winnie 3200+
ECS (I know..) nforce4-a939
256mb geil value
Tagan 420w (tg420-u1)
MSI Geforce 6600

Now, before the psu arrived, I got impatient and decided to use a generic 400w psu, supposedly the motherboard can handle the 20 pin conector also. I believe this to be my crucial mistake, patience being most certainly a virtue.
When I turn the thing on, it posted, allowed me to access the bios then turned itself off. Whenever I turned the pc on from this point it would simply go on for a few seconds then turn itself off. Has this generic PSU killed my CPU? I have tried a cmos reset but to no avail. All fans are spinning, cd-rw powers on, but no beep.
Any suggestions?

What are the chances of AMD accepting my RMA if this is the case? :confused:

Man of Honour
Since you have a currently working PC I'd use some of the parts from that to test it, starting with Ram(or not if it is being RMA'd). I'd simply go with a process of trial and error testing each part individually to see if you can narrow down what the problem is.

It could be that your PSU has damaged the system but I'd think it more likely that it has damaged the motherboard than the actual CPU by being underpowered.

Soldato
OP
Problem solved :D
I had simply plugged the wrong 4 pin connector into the motherboard, damn tagan and their 4/8 pin 20/24 pin weird but very handy connection thingies!

Thanks for the replies guys :)

My £200 system lives!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Numpty :p :D

It so often turns out like that. You fiddle around for hours trying to find the source of the problem assuming it's something catastrophic like the mobo fried or the PSU blew up or something and it turns out you forgot to plug something in.

Stan :)

Caporegime
I remember my first ever build, would'nt power on, thought the whole thing was dead, i was trying allsorts, in the end i gave up and phoned a mate, he said have you connected the power switch up, DOH!!!! i was pressing the power button and i didn't even have the thing connected!!!. :D

Back
Top Bottom