Problem with Microsoft MCE Keyboard...

Soldato
Hey,

Just got the official Microsoft MCE2005 keyboard for my HTPC, and I'm having some trouble with the integrated nipple pointer thingy... I'm having to press it in quite hard for it to work. I was under the impression you just have to gently push in whatever direction you want (just like the IBM Thinkpad nipples). Is this normal or is mine faulty? :(

Cheers,

Suman

Associate
Yes, you have to press down and move to activate....stops accidental operation

Had to tweak the sensitivity settings somewhat to get a balance between speed and accuracy :)

Weakest point of the keyboard IMHO :(

Last edited:
Associate
Yea...not very clever tbh. Settings I tweaked are those for Mouse in Control Panel - you just need to play around wth them to suit your personal preference HTH ;)

Soldato
OP
I'll test the range later and post back for you mate... 2 more quick Q's for you NickR if that's ok?

1) The keyboard doesn't work before you get into Windows! I can't use it to enter the BIOS or to F8 into Safe Mode :( can I make it work somehow?
2) I can't get the Remote nor the Keyboard to shut down or suspend the PC using the power off buttons... is there some sort of special way to set this up?

Cheers,

Suman

Commissario
1: Assuming it's USB (or the receiver is) you may need to go into the BIOS and turn on USB keyboard support :)
Otherwise it's not recognised by the PC until the OS loads the USB drivers etc.

This is one of the reasons I tend to keep a PS2 keyboard handy (or usb to ps2 adaptor)

Associate
sumang007 said:
I'll test the range later and post back for you mate... 2 more quick Q's for you NickR if that's ok?

1) The keyboard doesn't work before you get into Windows! I can't use it to enter the BIOS or to F8 into Safe Mode :( can I make it work somehow?
2) I can't get the Remote nor the Keyboard to shut down or suspend the PC using the power off buttons... is there some sort of special way to set this up?

Cheers,

Suman

Suman - Have checked and my MCE keyboard doesn't work outside Windows but I only use the pc as a Media Centre so don't need that function (I set the pc up with a PS2 keyboard initiallly)

I can suspend and alter TV volume using my MS remote but not the keyboard!! I do remember that when I tried to program the volume and TV on/off functions on the keyboard, it wouldn't work....although I set up the remote with no problems. Haven't really pursued the problem tbh.

Sorry I cant help more...

Back
Top Bottom