Problem with starting the pc

Suspended
Dudes can someone advise what is wrong with my system, I built my rig 9 months ago and has been running sweet untill now :(

When starting the pc all fans spin but pc does not come on. To get it to run I have to unplug the power cable from the back, then hold the power button for a few sec then plug it all back then she fire's up?

It's annoying I have cleared the cmos removed the battery checked everything what do you think guys.

Rig is running stock it's fast enough, could it be the power supply?

spec below

DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 XL 256MB
G.Skill 1GB DDR FF PC4800 (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit (F1-4800DSU-1GBFF)
Enermax Noisetaker 485W

Soldato
certainly sounds like the PSU to me... doesn't holding the power button discharge the capasitors in the power supply (or whatever they're called)... don't suppose you've got a spare one you could substitute it for just to test it out?

could always try unplugging non-essential parts (fans/1 stick of ram/extra HDDS/optical drives etc...) to see if maybe the PSU is simply getting overloaded and can't cope. although that would be strange as you said you built it 9 months ago and i'm presuming you've not added anything recently to the machine...

certainly unplug non-essential parts and give that a go, maybe try and ask a mate if you can borrow a PSU (if any have one of resonable power).

welcome to the forums by the way :)

Suspended
OP
many thanks for the advice

yep when I unplug the power and then push down on the power button it discharge the power in the system, then the rig fires up.

Have not added anything new just started doing all this Monday

I've unplug all non-essential parts still won't come on :( unless remove power cable then discharge the rig.

will see if I can get a mate to lend me a psu

Man of Honour
Welcome to th forums :)

is the light on on the mobo?

Before you swap out, you could use a multimeter to check the supply:

Power test for Power output

Turn PC off but leave plug connected.

Take power connector (Molex) and insert black probe into black wire connector.

Insert red probe into red wire connector.

Set multi-meter to 20volts and turn on PC.

Read out should be around +5volts.

Turn off PC and repeat process but this time connecting the red probe into the yellow wire.

Power PC on again and read the read out should give you around +12volts

Allow for some deviation. For 5volts between +4.8volts and +5.2volts and for 12volts between +11.5volts and 12.6volts.

Anything outside these there is certain to be a problem with the power supply.

if ok, then it's a problem elsewhere.. report back!

Back
Top Bottom