Problems with new hardware

Associate
Hi

I just upgraded my system to Athlon X2 - Asus A8N-SLi SE mobo - ATI Radeon X800 GTO 512MB - 1Gb Corsair DDR Ram. I kept the same HDD (120gb IDE) for the time being. Previous system was Athlon 2500+.

I expected problems, and here it is:

The system boots up to the Windows XP logo (I have XP Pro - I set the BIOS to the correct settings as far as I can tell) and then just reboots itself all over again (i.e. system reset).
Now I would re-install XP, but i have found my disk is knackered.

From this vague description that I have given can anyone tell what the problem is that may be causing the restarts? In the meantime I'm trying to sneak an XP disk from work...!

I think a re-install or repair installation is the only real option here so you will need a Windows XP disk, if you can't borrow one from work then providing you own a genuine copy and have a proper licence key you might be able to download an ISO of Windows and use your serial key. I'm not sure about the legality of this but I believe that it is ok.

semi-pro waster said:
I think a re-install or repair installation is the only real option here so you will need a Windows XP disk, if you can't borrow one from work then providing you own a genuine copy and have a proper licence key you might be able to download an ISO of Windows and use your serial key. I'm not sure about the legality of this but I believe that it is ok.
You can legally copy CD's/DVD's to your hearts content AS LONG AS for each licence you have only one copy is used at anyone time and you own a corresponding licence. So yes copying a disk to replace the damaged one is fine.

Thanks. I figured a re-install of XP would be the only option :( But hopefully a repair option may save me having to start afresh.
As I'm getting a new SATA II 160Gb drive I'll wait for that and copy everything over onto it first so I have a full backup before I start.
Better tell the missus I'll be disappearing for a week or so!

Back
Top Bottom