Problems with newly built machine - continuous beeping!

Associate
I'm using...

Athlon 64 3000+
Abit an8-SLI
2 x 1GB Ballistix
7900GT
Enermax Noisetaker 600W

There is NO heatsink for the CPU.

When i power on, the system boots up fine, however there is a continuous beeping. I'd say it was 1 long, 1 short, 1 long, 1 short, etc etc with no gaps between beeps. I can get into the BIOS. All the fans turn, so power seems fine, GPU seems fine, as do CPU and RAM since i can get into the BIOS, right?

Then the machine turns itself off (beeping continues), however this is obviously due to the overheated CPU. so i need to turn off the PSU to get the beeping to stop.

Does anyone know why the beeping is happening? Could it be that the mobo has detected no conection to the CPU fan connector?

I've not had the chance to 'investigate' further due to the lack of heatsink (should be arriving from OCUK tomorrow), perhaps someone could enlighten me? This is quite frustrating!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Lol i bought my parts from 2 sites, the cpu cooler still hadnt arrived when it was due, so i said cancel it so that i'd get the rest of the stuff. I'll be getting the Freezer 64 Pro tomorrow.
I didnt think the temps would get high enough to have the mobo switch off for safety, if all i was doing was booting up the machine :(

The 3000+ is a temp until i get my Opteron in a few weeks.

The CPU is fine, i just wanna know why the beeping occurs. Do you think that it IS because the mobo has detected no connection to the CPU fan?

Associate
OP
Gibbo said:
Hi there

That beep code is the temperature warning alarm going off.

Get the heatsink and fan connected up and power back on, hopefully all will be fine.

If you've burnt the CPU out then you've just chucked a load of money away as thats warranty void.

Thanks, i couldnt find that info on the net based just on the beep code.
Although it is odd that that alarm went off the 1st time i booted up, about 5 seconds into the machine starting.

Well i guess i'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Associate
OP
nikebee said:
surely the motherboard manual would have had a section telling you what different kind of beeps mean what anyway?

but turning on a pc without a CPU heatsink is a big no no... don't worry we're all allowed one silly mistake when building our first machines :o

There are absolutely none. However there is an appendix full of POST codes that translate the LED codes from the mobo. Examples include 'Test 8254', 'Save all data in stack back to CMOS'. Seems to just be an indicator of what the mobo is u pto, rather than from troubleshooting.

Unless it's expecting me to shrink down and rescue all the data back to the safety of the CMOS. :p

I can't wait for the cooler to arrive today, not knowing whether i've inadvertently destroyed some part of the PC is driving me nuts.

Associate
OP
Admiral Huddy said:
oh yeah!

:o

No Fan = N00b!

Reasoning for no fan was given in 1st post :(

I installed the fan it booted up without the beeping.. however not HDDs were detected. I fiddled with the BIOS for a bit, then they could be detected (i didnt actually DO anything).

But now i have another problem.
I've removed most of the hardware connected to the mobo, except from the CPU, GPU, RAM, DVD drive, HDD.
I try to install windows, setup starts, but when i get to 'setup is loading windows', the machine turns itself off!!

I've looked it up on the net, others seem to have the machine hang at this point, but not the machine shutting down.
They recommend removing all unnecessary hardware to see if it makes a diff, since at that point, windows does some sort of hardware check, but makes no diff for me.

The problem definitely isnt with the CD, i've tried different HDDs (SATA and IDE).

BIOS is up to date.
All temps are in the 20/30s, shutdown is always at that exact point.

Help...! :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
basmic said:
I can't help wondering if you've caused damage to your CPU.

The only way to know for sure is by putting another working CPU in it. If Windows installs fine with that, then you know it's the CPU - if not, rule out your motherboard and memory.

Disable all onboard devices, including USB, unless you need them.

I'm in the process of testing various things right now.

I had 2 x 1GB Ballistix RAM installed in dual channel mode.
I removed one of them, tried installing windows again, and when it reached that point, it stayed there for a few secs (can't remember how long it normally takes), and managed to continue!!
So it's something to do with the RAM. I'm going to test different configurations..

Would it be a problem with the RAM, or does windows not like installing with 2GB/dual channel RAM? lol..

Associate
OP
basmic said:
Not got any other RAM you can test with?

It could be that the motherboard doesn't like your chosen RAM.

Nope, my 1st desktop PC in a way.

The most bizarre thing is that i'm now installing windows, using 2GB in single channel mode. This time when it got the the 'setup is installing windows' point, it took considerably longer to get to the next stage.

Assuming the rest of installation goes without a hitch, i'll try switching back to dual channel later.

The ram is DDR500, it comes up as being DDR400 (most boards are like this, is that right?), but many other boards (eg a8n series) have the same max FSB and memory speeds, i cant think why it only has problems in dual channel really.

The RAM is also running at 2T now, dunno why that is =/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well i've found out that the problem is the damn RAM, there are others who have problems with an8-sli and 2gb ballistix in dual channel. :(

What should i do with the RAM, sell it on ebay? =/

I bought it on the 15th from OCUK

Back
Top Bottom