Problems with Preamp Turntable Setup

Associate
Arite Folks

Hoping someone can advise me as to what I am doing wrong with my turntable setup. I have the following equipment:

1x Technics 1210 mk2
1x Electrovision Turntable Preamp
2x KRK Rokit 6's

I have them setup as shown below:
setup.png

The KRKs are powered speakers so I thought having the preamp would be enough and eliminate the need for an actual amplifier. I have tried connecting via the phono in and aux in and no difference. I have also tried the pemap mains powered and battery powered but it doesn't seem to work.

I think the preamp is just faulty but thought I would ask here first.

Cheers

Soldato
There could be one of 3 issues here. But before coming to them, the "Electrovision Turntable Preamp" is not a pre-amp it's a Phono Stage.

1) As you said it could be faulty
2) At the price, it will only be a Moving Magnet phono Stage. Does your record deck have a Moving Magnet Cartridge ? Or is it a moving Coil Cartridge ?
3) Just a guess, but an actual Pre-Amp may be needed between the Phono Stage and the Rokit's.

Associate
It's converting a tiny moving-magnet cartridge signal to line-level with appropriate equalisation, therefore, it is by definition a preamp.

Have you tried plugging the output of the preamp into the line-in on your PC to see if it's outputting anything?

Have you tried the speakers from the line-out on your PC to check they're working?

Associate
OP
The speakers are definitely working as I use them for Dj'ing from my Pioneer XDJ-RX. The speakers themselves are amplified so I don't quite understand the problem. The cartridge is an Ortofon Concorde Pro S.

Associate
Firstly have you connected the earth from the 1210? The earth must be connected (normally to an amp or DJ Mixer) as this creates an effective circuit.

I would say the pre-amp is not cutting it or is faulty.

Associate
Sounds like a faulty phono box. Have you tried plugging the turntable directly into the powered speakers? I have never tried this but it should work it will just be very quiet you may need to crank it just to hear it all. This should confirm that it is the phonobox (dont actually run it like this).

If your on a budget I woud get a ART DJPRE II Phono is £42 on the rainforest. It is regarded as an excellent sounding budget solution.

I assume the stylus is ok? Can you hear the music if you put your ear to the cartridge?

Back
Top Bottom