program to open .lvf file?

Associate
hi folks,
We have a cctv dvr at work, and I had to back up some files to usb dongle.
now when I try to play them back on pc I cant seem to find a program that recognises the file format.
they are .lvf files. I did a bit of googling and found reference to Logitech.VideoEffectPackageHandler. tried their web site but all I could seem to find was software for web cam but nothing to actually play back these files.
I would have thought that backup from the dvr would give the option to save as avi or something but the manual is about as much good as a chocolate fireguard(translated from I think tiawanese to english by a dyslexic russian if you get my drift).The dvr is a H.264 network dvr If that helps any.
any help much appreciated

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried VLC media player, not much that can't play but I have never heard of a video file with that extension.

Do the file sizes seem to indicate that they are actualy big video files?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Hmm.. could you open one of the files with a hex editor (i.e. HxD) and post a screenshot? It might help to identify it.

I.e. I can probably assume this is an AVI/XVID:

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Are you on Vista/W7? If so go to start > all programs > accessories > snipping tool

When it loads up to the right of the new button click the little drop down arrow and select 'window snip', then click on the HxD. If it's worked you'll see a picture of HxD displayed within the sniping tool, go to file > save as and save the file to your desktop.

Then go to http://www.imageshack.us/, click browse, find the image file you just created and click 'start upload'. Once it's done copy and paste the code in 'Thumbnail for forums (1)' into a new post here and post :).

Pho

Pho

Soldato
The picture works :). Unfortunately it doesn't look to be an easy to play file, like AVI, MPEGs etc.

Maybe it's a video format specific to your CCTV. Do you know what make/model it is?

Associate
OP
The manual says H264 network dvr. not sure of the model, I'll have to pop in to work tomorow and see if theres a model no. on the dvr.
we installed the system for security. I'm glad I started looking into this out of curiosity rather than waiting untill we actually might need video evidence backing up. would look a right numpty when plod asked for a dvd of a crime and I had to say sorry I dont know how to get it off the damn recorder :D
thanks for your input so far. I'll report back tomorow hopefully with a model no.

Associate
OP
It comes with a disc which does'nt install a program as such but it loads something called Lvf_PLAY_Plus which once installed you can't actually find anywhere on hard drive,but when you link to the dvr through lan cable and open web browser and connect to dvr ip address it installs an active x control that brings up a page that allows you remote access to the dvr controls.Once open I can watch cctv in realtime, access and change dvr setting and also record to laptop realtime footage(still saves in the same file format), but I cant seem to access pre recorded dvr footage via the web browser(The search button is there but greyed out).To access pre recorded footage I have to back up to usb dongle.
by the way on the dvr it says product No.DVR-7104HV(I'm assuming this is the model no?).

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I can't find much information on that model at all, was it a bargain one from eBay by chance? :o.

When you install that software does it not ask you where to install it? It's a bit extreme but you could always run procmon before you install the software and monitor what files it's writing to.

Associate
OP
yep they were bought off the bay! Managed to contact the seller and thankfully they responded. They are going to contact their supplier and hopefully get some advice.
been playing around with the dvr today. Can connect laptop via ethernet cable and view live feed can access settings etc, worked out how to view recorded footage on laptop but still can't record to laptop.Seems the remote viewing software is on the dvr and opens when you log onto the dvr ip address. I think the software on the dvr is linux based, don't know if this makes any difference

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Well it sounds like you've made some progress at least. When you view the recorded footage on the laptop how do you do it, via the web interface? If you take a picture we might be able to work out how you then capture that to your PC.

Associate
OP
yes its via web interface. there are options to search, record, capture etc and settings to set folder options for saving recordings, capture etc but when you try to record to laptop you get a message saying record failed. I'm not at work at the moment, but I'll try and take some snapshots tomorrow.
btw pho I see your in derbyshire. are you born & bred here like myself?
thanks again for the input

Pho

Pho

Soldato
It all sound a bit odd - if you could get a picture that would be fairly useful. As with most things without being there it's hard to work this sort of thing out.

Yep :). Where about are you? I'm just outside of Belper (it's a small village, so it's hard to explain without giving exact locations :o).

Back
Top Bottom