Poll: Programmers who work in an office. Do you listen to music? (poll)

Programmers who work in an office. Do you listen to music?

• I work in an open plan office, don't listen to music and don't want to

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I work in an open plan office, don't listen to music and want to

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • I work in an open plan office and listen to music

Votes: 38 64.4%

• Total voters

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Can this be made into a poll please mods :)

I work in an open plan office, without listening to music. When I work from home, I work in my own office and listen to music whilst working. I feel more productive when working from home. I was wondering what other people do, and what are their views on this subject.

Poll options;

* I work in an open plan office, don't listen to music and don't want to
* I work in an open plan office, don't listen to music and want to
* I work in an open plan office and listen to music

I can't listen to music in the office, and I feel I get distracted and lose my chain of thought when the phone rings / people at other desk start talking. It bugs me.

Associate
Headphones in the moment I get in and they don't come out until someone waves their arms frantically in my direction, either that or I feel like a chat!

BaJ

BaJ

Associate
I work in an open plan office and listen to music.

Team of 5 in this room and we have music on, although it's a pretty low volume so as not to disturb.

Associate
I work in an open plan office and share it with a few heavy telephone users, I use inner ear buds and turn the volume up, if somebody needs me they either email or tap me on the shoulder. Its the only way I can be productive in such an environment.

Soldato
I'm in a pretty large open plan with teams of biz, programmers, dba's etc all together so can get noisy. I just headphone it up when I need some concentration time. Closed back ones work the best.

Soldato
In my previous office we had Radio1 on every day. Sometimes it got a little annoying with the same **** being played ad nauseum every day, but it was good being able to keep up with the news.

The current office is as quiet as a dormouse (apart from my mechanical keyboard :D) so I just have a mixture of Spotify, Absolute Classic Rock or 6Music on over headphones. Currently some Sony ear buds, but I'm looking for some small over-ear ones for better quality.

All the devs have Skype so it's easy enough to grab someone's attention.

Associate
I'm in a pretty large open plan with teams of biz, programmers, dba's etc all together so can get noisy. I just headphone it up when I need some concentration time. Closed back ones work the best.

Same here. Enjoy the banter most of the time but headphones on = DND.

Soldato
I work in an open plan office containing about 20 other people, mostly non-programmers, so there's times it's the only way I can concentrate. If I'm getting tired with the same old same old being played on Radio 6 I'll whack some headphones on then too.

Soldato
I listen to music in the office via headphones I don't think the rest of the team would appreciate the various forms of drum & bass (Going Quantum podcast). It is also handy to get "into the zone" and drown out the noise from the rest of the support team, other developers and people coming in and out of the office. So I can go into my own little developer bubble.

I find it almost impossible these days to develop without having music or a training video playing as background noise.

Associate
Whenever coding (personal projects, never had it as a job - so didn't vote in poll) I find I need total focus and concentration otherwise I forget what I'm doing/lose track. I put music on only to find later that nothing has been playing for 20-40 minutes lol

If I worked in an open plan office I would need some decent headphones, even if just to block the noise of other people.

Back
Top Bottom