Programming language for kids?

Soldato
So I thought I'd try and do a little programming with my two kids, 8 & 12.

Looked at "Simple Basic" which was actually not bad, BUT:-
1) It's case sensitive so "do" does not compile for example, as it needs to be "Do". Not kid friendly!
2) Compile/running isn't very friendly.

Next, I lookinged at Small Basic (from Micro$oft). Not bad.

But is there anything else out there that's a nice straight forwards/flexible programming languge (basic) for kids?

Soldato
OP
Scratch?
If you have a pi look here.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/getting-started-with-scratch/
Depending on your kids it may be too young for the 12 year old.
Quite a few resources here.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources/learn/
Something called Kids Ruby looks fun.

Scratch looks like a very simple way to get kids using coding logic while being visually appealing. Plus all seems browser based so very accessible!

So far Small Basic seems a very nice environment, but it would be nice if graphically it was just a touch more powerful. I mean you can't even do things like draw some lines, clear the screen and redraw them, to do super basic animation etc. (I believe)

Soldato
OP
VB.Net

Not trolling, if they're going to learn something, it may as well be a language that's actually used in production environments. It's got the most english-like syntax too. Download Visual Studio Express for free and you're away and running. I don't see why compiling is such a burden - it's just a single button press.

A bit heavy for 8-12yr olds to start with surely? I've done a little bit and I don't remember it being a turn key operation. ie: A single little listing with nice english statements in there to achieve something straight forward.

Soldato
OP

That looks interesting! Python looks a touch "deeper" than Small Basic, but I imagine it's faster & more powerful.

The editor in Small Basic is simple & very friendly so I think I'll start them in that, and then once they have the fundamentals, look to move up to something like Python.

With Python, I assume just get the most recent? And then is there an editor that's recommended? ie: Something that super friendly like your typical Microsoft ones?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom