Project: 4-Quad (56k = no)

Soldato
Hey guys

After finally getting all the parts to my new rig, it is time to retire my trusty athlon x2 from its house and move in the new hardware, however, with the new stuff outputting so much heat, drastic measures were called for. :p

The system is called 4 quad thanks to gigabytes great marketing of the '6 dual miracle' on my Pentium 4 mainboard reminding me i can apply the same logic to this build

4x cores
4x sticks of ram
4x hard drives in raid 0
4x 120.1 equiv. radiators for water cooling

hence the 4-Quad name :D

Systems specs:

Intel X3210
Asus P5K Deluxe
4GB Crucial Ballistix
Nvidia Quadro FX 4600
X-FI Elite Pro
4* Hitachi Deskstar sataII
2 dvd-rw drives
Tagan 580w

Cooling:
2*120.2 radiators with 100cfm delta's
2*D5's
Apogee GT
Switftech mini-res
Blue star high performance car coolant

Case:
Akasa Eclipse 62 :D

Still trying to work out where im going to put the second radiator on the akasa, i really dont want to drill into my case yet as im not that confident.

Pictures to come in a sec :D

mark1 said:
That looks awesome, the delta's on those radiators are gonna give some nice temps. I hope you don't mind me asking but where the hell do you get the money for all that??? You're only 17 years old :eek: I'm 16 and i don't see how i could ever get enough money by the time i'm 17 to spend that much on a pc without spending all my savings!!

I run my own PC repair and construction business and work part time for Royal Doulton's rendering department. :)

Work hard, spend hard :p

As for the rig, a quick update, i was going to use 2 120.2's and 2 d5's however, not only can i not find a single way to fit it internally but it strikes me as overkill now, im going to mull over the idea later tonight, might result in a radbox with the 2 pumps and rad in if its worth it.

I was going to get a v2000 but its too big to take to lan's and too expensive (all money i earn from now needs to go towards insurance for my car)

Haven't had any time to work on the machine as I've got a rather hectic time here at the moment however i shall get working on it tonight. :D

*edit* cleaning of watercooling parts is going well :)

misterPK said:
Ok, it is a bit early in the morning, but i count 5 HDDs in that picture and I could have sworn you said that was one of your "quads" in your original spec. Am I losing it or did you change your mind? :p

PK!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

(one is for osx the other 4 are for windows)

Right, started drilling the holes for the tubes, unfortunately our tool area is a total mess and i couldn't find any metal bits, only masonry and no chuck key, off to the DIY to pick up a 20mm metalwork bit :)

Here is how its looking currently:

The LGA mount for the waterblock prep'd:

Hard drives being installed into the akasa's cage:

Cage installed into case:

Added waterblock, soundcard, sata cables + usb bracket, also screwed in the mainboard tray:

Power cables + Quadro added:

Just thought i would add, Asus thought it would be great with a DELUXE motherboard, to only include 4 sata cables when they have 6 internal headers, they don't even bother to include any e-sata, so i had to resort to using a sata cable from another motherboard package. :(

Last edited:
Part one is now finished, part 2 will be done in a few weeks time, have exams though that i need to revise for.

Part 2:
Re drilling of pipe holes + rubber
2nd D5+120.2 added to the system
not 100% sure on: radbox to store the radiators and pumps in

As for now here are some almost finished part 1 pics,

A quick bench......

Idle @ 3.2ghz 1.4v is 39/39/40/40

Load @ 3.2ghz 1.4v is 55/56/58/58

More pictures later today when I get a memory stick for my camera, been using the on-board memory as I'm a cheapo :p

2nd rad will go on the roof of the case and 2nd D5 will go either next to the res or next to the rad.

Or

It could all be put inside a radbox, I haven't decided which way to go yet. :)

gt_junkie said:
Post that on the Eclipse owners thread!

It'd be a nice addition!

How are the quad temps?

gt

Try 'too ****ing hot' :mad:

At load this thing heats my room up from ~25c to ~30c in 15 minutes :( my 610w ups crys very loudly when i game, use 4 cores and access the drives :eek:

Make sure you have a use for it before you buy, you WILL regret buying something that needs a power station to itself if you don't use every last bit of power. :)

The thermalright should be fine for ~2.8-3.2ghz :)

hp7909 said:
Nice build there ;)

Surprised to see the X-Fi needs extra power supply :eek:

Only needs the power connector if you use the external breakout box on the elite pro

Subliminal Aura said:
nice project and pics lay-z shame about the clock :/

Clock is ok for now, im settling for 3ghz rendering stable (much more intensive than prime) i will be able to hit higher with the cpu lapped.

Cheers for the comments guys, will get started on part 2 soon now my A level exams are over. :D

Back
Top Bottom