Project car - Peugeot 306 HDI vs TDI

Associate
Hello guys!

Right now, i am thinking about buying car for project. I had Golf IV, 1.9 TDI 110KW and always loved how small the car was and how good the driving was (loved that kick from turbo). I wanted something similiar and cheap (Golfs are expensive in my country and everyone owns Golfs. On every meeting, there always are 30 of them so its big NO from me anymore).

So i was looking for something else. Found out about 306 HDI and how tunable they are, they are cheap and even smaller than Golf. Yesterday i had a look at one and lets say .. i was disapointed in the power delivery. I know, TDI PD is famous for its turbo lag so you feel, like you are going much faster then you are but this was just underwhelming (I was told it has light chip to around 75kw). It was like driving turbo petrol car. No kick from turbo, smooth power till the red line. But the handling was godlike, so light and small car.

So my question is! Is it worth to buy and tune? I know you can get these HDI engines to around 120-130 hp in stage 1 and 150-160 in stage 2. I could do everything myself except the tune ofc. The only thing i dont know, will it ever be fun to drive like my old Golf? I love the turbo lag, the power delivery, you simply had feeling of powerfull car with few Hp. I know i would love the handling of 306 but i am not sure if i would love the power delivery even at stage 2. Is there anyone who maybe tried both cars or was at same decision making like me?

Maybe some other cars i should have a look at? I want something small with good handling that has tuning potential and is cheap so i can work on it all day.

Sorry for long post.

No more Golfs for me. I liked the car, its nice first car to buy but everyone has them. On every meeting, there are 30 of them. Everything around these cars and engines was already done so many times. It just feels like copying others. I like unique cars. Cars that not many ppl know of but will love, when they see and ride them. Thats why 306 with HDI is so tempting for me. Small good driving fast car that no one rly thinks will be fast and the exterior is still good looking after 20y. The only think i dont know is, if i will like to drive it even with 120-130hp under the hood and bunch of wasted money. Thats why i would like to hear from someone who has/had HDI with some mods.

Back
Top Bottom