Project : Elemental

Man of Honour
OP
Nice work mate, that is one stupendously tidy build *massive thumbs up*

Thanks mate

This is freaking loco!!! ;)

may i ask how much time and money on this, it is a work of art i adore what you have created.

Lost track of how much, but north of £800

Stunning build

Cheers

Stunning build, just finished my first loop, yesterday. Same case thoug, it is really stunning I must say, could you link the valve and the washers you found on eBay? Can't find it and it looks like you had perfect matching colors

Hi Steco, thanks for your comment and welcome to OcUK.

Forum rules won't allow me to link direct to a competitor. If you use these 2 searches on Ebay UK it should help ;

" Barrow G1/4" Matte Black Mini Valve with Aluminium Red Handle " - the valve
" M3 3mm Anodized Aluminium Alloy Countersunk Washers For Computer Case(10Pcs)" - washers

Very nice finish mate, big fan of the small details like the anodised washers and it really looks like a quality build. I'm currently trying my ass off to find some chunky thumb screws like those on the glass - are they originals or you replaced? Also are they M4 or larger?

Cheers!

Hi Smffy.

The thumbscrews are the ones that came with the case.

Can't work out the size, fractionally bigger than M4 but an imperial thread.

Soldato
FYI Hobbyking do all kinds of anodised stuff like washers and it's much cheaper than your eBay's.

Basically shops that sell stuff for RC cars and planes... if anyone needs light blue I've got loads spare...

Thanks for the info on the screws, 4 of those would be lovely so will see if I can find them.

Associate
As the psu is suspended in the case i didn't trust the little screws that came with it, so bought some sturdier bolts to take the weight.

3pYW7Eu.jpg

Mark:

Can I bother you for a few questions:

1) how's the quality of the case?

2) how often do you have to dust the inside?

3) on the above photo, if I don't use an 90 right angle plug, and use my regular power cord, would there be a 3" clearance by chance?

4) is there anything you don't like about the case?

5) can the top and bottom air panel (3 x circle) be taken out in case I need to drill some holes?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Mark:

Can I bother you for a few questions:

1) how's the quality of the case?

2) how often do you have to dust the inside?

3) on the above photo, if I don't use an 90 right angle plug, and use my regular power cord, would there be a 3" clearance by chance?

4) is there anything you don't like about the case?

5) can the top and bottom air panel (3 x circle) be taken out in case I need to drill some holes?

1. Very good quality. Thick heavy glass panels. Very sturdy aluminium frame. Can't fault it

2. I've got the fans blowing out from inside, so in theory this increases the dust being 'sucked' in. I've cleaned it once since completing and it's no worse than expected. Light amounts of dust.

3. No. You've got approx 40mm clearance from the PSU mounting plate to the top glass panel. Your usual power lead plugs into the back of this case, the 90 degree is a built in extension lead.

4. My only gripe would be that being totally glass on the side , hiding internal lighting is tricky - But the same applies to any case with a fully glass side panel.

5. Easy. They just unscrew from the main black aluminium frame.

Associate
thank you very much for the reply.

I'm using NZXT Phantom 820, it was a good case back then. But I like the 200 mm silent fan that I'm using. I am prepare to buy 7 to 9 x 120 mm fan until I check the width of the case:

I compare the width of the MOD1 (250 mm) vs. Thermaltake Mid Tower F31 Suppressor, in which it is also 250 mm wide.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Chass..._F31_Tempered_Glass_Edition/Specification.htm

as you can see, for the same width, the Thermaltake can fit 2 x 200 mm at the top, and 1 x 200 mm at the front, and 2 x 140 mm at the bottom.

1) Now, for people who only uses fans, do you think we can drill some holes and use 200 mm fan on the top, & at the front instead? You think there is enough space for 200 mm fan?

As well, is there enough space at the bottom to fit 2 x 140 mm fan?

2) Also, you use Thermaltake 24dB fan, is there any noise from say 2 ft. ?

As to your fans, I plan to use mesh filter at the top / front, just like the bottom part of the case. If you use it, it can cut down on dust. I see Performance_pcs sells 1 dust filter at a time, but on my NZXT case, it's a very long mesh dust filter at the top, and at the front, so I figure I don't need to buy 1 filter at a time, just a few sheets.

And for that power cable that comes with the case, I just don't get it. Since they provide at 90 deg. angle power cord, why can't they just let that cable connects directly to the wall plug, why go thru an ext. cord? The other thing is, I'm using the Enermax 850W, it's a AWG 14, so I don't know if the ext. cord gauge is heavy enough. So I plan to go to monoprice and get a 90 degree angle cable and go straight out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
1) Now, for people who only uses fans, do you think we can drill some holes and use 200 mm fan on the top, & at the front instead? You think there is enough space for 200 mm fan?

As well, is there enough space at the bottom to fit 2 x 140 mm fan?

2) Also, you use Thermaltake 24dB fan, is there any noise from say 2 ft. ?

As to your fans, I plan to use mesh filter at the top / front, just like the bottom part of the case. If you use it, it can cut down on dust. I see Performance_pcs sells 1 dust filter at a time, but on my NZXT case, it's a very long mesh dust filter at the top, and at the front, so I figure I don't need to buy 1 filter at a time, just a few sheets.

And for that power cable that comes with the case, I just don't get it. Since they provide at 90 deg. angle power cord, why can't they just let that cable connects directly to the wall plug, why go thru an ext. cord? The other thing is, I'm using the Enermax 850W, it's a AWG 14, so I don't know if the ext. cord gauge is heavy enough. So I plan to go to monoprice and get a 90 degree angle cable and go straight out.

No space for 200mm fans, the chassis is not wide enough. The 250mm measurement you mention is the absolute external width from the thumbscrews used to hold the glass panels on.

2 x 140mm fans could fit in the bottom, but you would need to drill mounting holes obviously

The Thermaltake RIING fans are very quite, i only ran them at 50% as the cooling was fine and didn't need more

Hope that helps :)

Associate
Brizzles, thank you again. Here's my plan:

I plan to put a Lamptron Fan controller at the top rear slot. (I haven't figure out how to mount the screws yet) I got the measurement from Jonsbo that there is enough space at the top. I plan to put a blu-ray burner at the bottom rear slot by removing the power plug and NOT to use that ext. cord. I spec. out a 14 AWG 90 deg. angle power cord from Monoprice. And I double check that my Enermax 850W is using 14 AWG.

I originally want to buy the S-frame from Inwin. But because it's totally open frame, I thought the dust could be too much. After spending many hr. trying to work thru various difficulty, such as blu-ray burner, etc. I gave up that idea.

Then I thought I go w/ the Thermaltake View 31. And modify the top bay to fit a 5.25" drive. But it can't be done

Then I was about to go w/ the Thermaltake Suppressor F31 until I see this case.

There is some dust in my Phantom 820, I do have to clean it from time to time. So I am hoping that by putting a mesh filter at the top and at the bottom of where my 5.25 drive and the fan controller is, it should block out the dust in the rear, and along w/ mesh filter elsewhere, I am hoping there wouldn't be a lot more dust than what I have right now.

Right now, I just need to sell my current case that c/w 2 x Xeon 4 core, and buy the above. When done, I'll post some photos

Man of Honour
OP
Brizzles, thank you again. Here's my plan:

I plan to put a Lamptron Fan controller at the top rear slot. (I haven't figure out how to mount the screws yet) I got the measurement from Jonsbo that there is enough space at the top. I plan to put a blu-ray burner at the bottom rear slot by removing the power plug and NOT to use that ext. cord.

Interesting idea, and should fit in theory.

Look forward to some pictures.

Good Luck :)

Associate
Brizzles, I just check the spec. on the RIING fan, it's 40.6 CFM at 26.4 dB

by contrast, the Noctua NF-F12, is 54.97 CFM AT 22.4Db

The $1 million question is, a different of 15 CFM, how important is it?

Man of Honour
OP
Brizzles, I just check the spec. on the RIING fan, it's 40.6 CFM at 26.4 dB

by contrast, the Noctua NF-F12, is 54.97 CFM AT 22.4Db

The $1 million question is, a different of 15 CFM, how important is it?

The RIING fans worked very well, and quietly, on my set up. More than adequate cooling at 40% RPM and i would have no problem recommending them.

The RIING fans cost about £10, the Noctuas cost about £17 - In value for money terms the Noctuas are not going to be 70% better at cooling.

But it will be down to personal preference, the $1million question, as you say :)

Associate

I just notice something. Any PSU, from the above photo, the PSU fan is on the right. It is sucking air IN. So I can't build a fan on the other side pulling cool air to the case, can I?

Otherwise, we'll having 2 fans, both trying to fight with each other so to speak? But if so, why would Jonsbo said we can install 3 x 120 mm fan at the front?

Man of Honour
OP
I just notice something. Any PSU, from the above photo, the PSU fan is on the right. It is sucking air IN. So I can't build a fan on the other side pulling cool air to the case, can I?

Otherwise, we'll having 2 fans, both trying to fight with each other so to speak? But if so, why would Jonsbo said we can install 3 x 120 mm fan at the front?

You would have to have the fan next to the psu as an exhaust, so not to fight against the psu.

Personally, all my fans are exhaust - enough air is drawn into the case behind the glass panels as it is a semi open frame design.

The video will be based around channeling air through a closed case.

Associate
Brizzles, thanks for the tips. I'll skip that spot to put any fan in then. The good old Intel ATX design is supposedly to have a fan at the front bottom anyway.

This is the only design flaw of this case. THe PSU is supposedly drawing cool air in, however, it's drawing it from the inside of the case. Now of course this is a semi open case, but still, the inside of the case has hot GPU and CPU heat that come out. So only some cool air goes in, being used by the whole case, and part of that is being suck in by the PSU.

Now, I notice you said you swap the screw to those other type screw. What really is the difference? Looks like just the head of the screw is thicker, how does that make a difference anyway?

Man of Honour
OP
Now, I notice you said you swap the screw to those other type screw. What really is the difference? Looks like just the head of the screw is thicker, how does that make a difference anyway?

Longer thread. The supplied bolts were really meant for a standard case thickness ~1mm, but in this case the psu is mounted on 3mm thick aluminium so a longer bolt was used to give more grip.

Back
Top Bottom