Project 'EVIE' - Steampunk 1886 Build

Associate
COMPLETED 24/08/16- Project 'EVIE' - Steampunk Build

I have had an interest in the artwork and ethos of Victorian Steampunk for several years and finally got around to doing something about it – thus, Project ‘Evie’ was born.

To me, Steampunk is before the age of electronics. A Victorian age where steam powered boilers and ornate gear powered machinery collide head on to create amazing creations of brass, copper and bronze. From the very early concept stages of this build it was important to me that I stay as true as possible to the Steampunk genre and hide as much of the electronics in the build as possible – not an easy task when you are building a custom PC.

And why is she called ‘Evie’? Well, the French author Jules Verne (often quoted as the grandfather of steampunk) wrote 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea in 1870 where we find the huge steam powered Nautilus submarine….and here comes the link…..like all steam boilers of the Victorian age the power plant of the Nautilus had a name – Evangeline or ‘Evie’ for short.

As a build ‘Evie’ is nearing completion but rather than bombard you all with too many photographs in one go I will post the build over several updates to give you all some breathing space.

Hardware

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mk1
Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (OC to 4.7 GHz)
Graphics: 2 x EVGA GTX980 TI SC+ in SLI (OC to 1475 MHz)
EVGA Pro SLI Bridge
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (2400 MHz)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000X

Loop and Cooling

12/10mm Copper Pipe for the Loop
EKWB Supremacy EVO CPU Waterblock
EKWB FC Nickle GPU Waterblocks
EKWB RES-X3 250mm Reservoir in Custom Brass Cradle
Laing D5 Pump with Bitspower Pump Top
Lamptron CW611 Fan/Pump Controller
1 x 360mm Hardware Labs Black Ice Radiator (Top)
1 x 280mm Hardware Labs Black Ice Radiator (Front)
Coolant Flow and Temperature Sensors by Koolance
1 x Corsair AF140 Fan (Rear)
3 x Corsair SP120 Fans (Top)
2 x Thermaltake Riing 140mm Fans (Front)
2 x Be-Quiet 80mm Fans (Side)

The Concept

The case I chose as the basis for the build was the Corsair 780T. The reason being it was large enough inside for the custom work I had planned and I could easily cut the case to death both inside and out as some serious metal and internal fittings removal was needed.

I don’t have access to CAD for design work and without access to CAM lathes and milling machines all the build work would be carried out by hand crafting using easily available hand tools. However, I managed to knock up some basic concept sketches of how the build would develop.

The first task for the 780T would be some case cutting and fittings removal and then onto paint and airbrushing. Across the top would be 360mm radiator but several bars ran across the width of the case (at the top) – these had to be removed as they looked ugly under the custom MNPCTEC grills that would sit there.

Down the front all the 5.25 inch bays were removed as a custom signature plate would sit there along with a front mounted fill port leading to the reservoir. Also, I relocated the Fan/Pump controller to the bottom of the front panel and moved the twin 140mm fans higher to accommodate it (along with removing some more cross bars which obstructed the front fans. Once completed there was only 2mm of clearance with the new bay added into position – it was tight but it worked!

The floor front was cut away in readiness for a new design floor to be inserted, a basement shroud completed and some internal panels to bring back the case strength integrity and tidy everything up.
Finally, the inner case could be sanded, cleaned and spray coated with bronze.

The custom basement shroud showing the PSU opening and locations for the exposed pump. Of course a little bit of work on the Corsair badge which has been relocated from the front of the case.

One of the new inner strengthening plates – this one running down the right side to hide all the IO panel cables.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Progress looks great. A few naff steampunk builds out there but fingers crossed this one looks awesome already.

I know what you mean about some of the previous steampunk builds out there. I did a lot of research to see what had been done before and it seems that most missed the whole steampunk aesthetic completely.

Thanks for all the comments guys it means a lot to get some feedback (good or bad) - I'll do another update later in the week when you will get to see my custom reservoir cradle.

ATB

Steve

Associate
OP
Project 'Evie' Build Log 2

For this update I'm going to start with the motherboard. My remit when starting 'Evie' was to hid as much of the electronics as possible as computer electronics and steampunk (if you really want to stay true to the aesthetic) do not mix. This meant that the choice of motherboard was important.

Thus, I went down the route of a Sabertooth Z170 Mk1 from Asus which has the armour covering most of the electronics on the board. I couldn’t just leave it there though so it ended up having full treatment with my airbrush.

Next up is the IO plate on the Corsair 780T. One look and I said ‘no way is that all staying on show’ plus there was far too many LED’s and glowing bits for my liking – all had to go.

Now, I had chosen to replace the on/off and reset switch with my own buttons but the USB ports needed to be hidden but still be usable if needed. The headphone and mic jacks could go and I certainly wasn’t going to use the inbuilt fan controller so that had to go too.

A full strip down removed the un-needed stuff (along with a ton of wires leading from the fan controller). I made a new custom faceplate, new switches and added a door to cover the USB ports.

Now for the fans (all 9 of them). Definitely had to do some work on those. Brass rings for the Corsair fans finished off some bronze airbrush work and fan grills were added to all fans that would be on show in the case.

To complete the effect I had to change the logo’s on each fan as they were far to modern in design. Thus, I came up with new fan label graphics which I printed off and applied to each fan hub. I went with a Corsair 1886 logo for most of them but had to change the two front Thermaltake fan labels as well to make them all look old and worn.

And now for my custom reservoir mount. I decided right at the start that this was to be one of the signature pieces on my build so only a full custom made brass cradle would do.

The coolant fill port would lead from the front of the case (where the old 5.25 inch bays used to be) into the top of the reservoir but first I had to start with some school boy trigonometry to work out the shapes…..and it’s been quite a while since I’ve had to call on this knowledge!…..knew it had to be good for something!

The full reservoir project took nearly a month to complete on its own as its all hand crafted and polished.

The copper pipe leading from the top of the reservoir cap is just a place holder to show where the fillport tube leads in to the reservoir.

That's it for now - more very soon and happy to answer any questions on the build if you have them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom