Project: Giken - Silent piler

Soldato
The name

As you may or not know Giken is a hydraulic pile press or a method of installing or driving piles using hydraulics to press them into the ground.

A rather neat metaphor for a Watercooled Piledriver rig.

The silent part is relative in that the Giken does not drive piles by impact but does rely on less noisy diesel powerpacks for the hydraulics. So it is with this build using fans but in a sound deadened case not silent but nearly.

Enough with the name derivation.

The computer.

I have run this FX8350 AMD processor with an Asus M5A99x motherboard and Patriot black mamba ram 2133MHz at a very successful 4.6-4.7GHz since last October. It currently resides in a ghetto chic Lian Li v1000 case with a phanteks air cooler. An HD6950 provides the graphics.

The case

The existing case is fine, well ventilated but a bit confined for water cooling so I needed a new one. I have decided to use a Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 for the build as it is not huge, pleasant clean lines, sound deadened and will fit at least one 240 rad without need for modification. It is also competitively priced. I am using white and will have white fans as well.
Stock photographs will be replaced by build photos

The watercooling loop

This is a CPU only loop at present as I do not want a new graphics card and my current one is non reference.

YOUR BASKET
1 x EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (240) £64.99 (£35 from MM, £30 saving)
1 x Laing 10W DDC-Pump 12V DDC-1T £54.98 (new)
1 x Watercool Heatkiller CPU Rev3.0 754/939/AM2 £51.95 (new £37 from OCUK special on new range, £15 saving)
1 x XSPC Acrylic Tank Reservoir for Laing DDC (Multiport) £24.98 (£14 from MM, £11 saving)
1 x XSPC HighFlex Hose 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD, 15.9/11.1mm, 2m, Clear £5.99
6 x EK PSC Compression Fitting 7/16 (16/11mm) - G1/4 - Nickel £3.29 (£19.74) (£14 from MM, £6 saving)
Total : £222.62 (includes shipping : FREE).

Colour scheme

Predominantly white although I do not intend to do anything with the motherboard or ram which is predominantly black with blue slots. Heatsinks on the motherboard are blue.

I am using Enermax cluster fans in white and aluminium. Hidden fans behind the rad are akasa vipers in yellow.

The heatkiller block is copper and stainless steel. Fittings are silver nickel and the reservoir is a clear acrylic cube with the option of a blue LED.

My thoughts on coolant are using a clear coolant in clear 7/16" ID tubing. I may look at a blue tint though. THOUGHTS.

Build to follow

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Buils pics

Motherboard and PSU in the case. I really wished I'd fitted the SATA cables at this point

The top elbow was removed from the heatkiller in the final loop.

Foamy water time, this is my first ever watercooling loop so was unsure if it looked right.

Kitchen towel everywhere.

Vipers in hiding.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Still plenty to do on the tidyness front. Cables everywhere and I think the front intakes probably need changing or queting down a bit. A bit of modding required.

At least the pump is quiet, when I first starting filling the loop, I thought Oh my god, it's so noisy, but when the air had settled out, it all became quiet.

Disappointed at the space in front of the rad. I could have gone for a thinner one and had four fans. The two vipers seem to work quite well though.

The loop looked not quite how I had imagined it would. The next time I build one I will be more knowledgeable about parts.

It all works however which is the main thing. Not a huge difference to the Phanteks at the moment Except for space in the case.

Back
Top Bottom