Project Outhouse

Associate
Evening folks....

I need some help.

I'm going to be converting a "shed" into a sort of study as my current study is becoming "victim" to renovation plans...

The shed is cement floored, brick walled and has waterproof roofing as well as power and Internet (important thing first...)

Question is how to make it more hospitable for computer components during the cold months. Has anyone done any outdoor office conversions and could... Ahem... Shed some light on dos and donts?

Soldato
insulation, insulation, insulation, heating.

Photos would be good but you're probably going to need to raise the floor slightly and add insulation because that concrete is going to get cold.

Those brick walls will probably be single layered so condensation/cold is going to be a killer and the roofing will be thin and let a lot of heat out.

Make sure you've got some decent locks on the door as well, just in case :)

Associate
OP
Cheers.

The plan is to re-paint the floor, then add insulation padding and then carpet on top of that.

You are correct, the Brick wall is single layer at the moment. The idea so far is to add a kind of "inner skeleton of timber to the walls to allow me to attach insulation board to keep things warmer and the roof is timber construction at the moment anyway so insulating that should be a doddle.

Have enough room for a small couch, desk & chair and a TV which will likely be wall mounted.

Is there anything else I really need to consider other than insulating it?

Never had any damp in there in the 2.5 years I've had the house..

Soldato
You are about to introduce a humidifier into the building, yourself.

You will want to keep the air dry and temperature up. The insulation will help but keeping the moisture down will also help. Most of your moisture will condensate out against the coldest surfaces that are good conductors, metal doors or window panes. But a dehumidifier is not a bad idea and maybe a small humidity meter so you know to turn it on if the humidity is rising.

Back
Top Bottom