Project Rainbow (ITX)

Associate
Very Nice indeed , See you gone with the Asrock Board :)
Get that bios updated once finished ,Be Few updates .

You should goto Raijintek with your Modding Design , They would do well & make a Version 3
Metis ,Look forward watching more updates.

Associate
Ya Going with the Original Metis Case Version 1 is best ,
Version 2 - Metis Plus ,Due to having a fan already on top , they made the 4 Holes to far in,
So if you wanted to Mod a 2nd 120mm fan for the top front you really can't due to spacing of the holes & the the Top front USB Ports.

Soldato
OP
Yeah went with the asrock board in the end, I was tempted to wait for the new Asus strix but it will probably be too expensive.
The asrock should do every thing I need any ways and I got it at a decent price I think.

Yeah they tried to improve air flow on the Metis plus with the added top fan but I'm not keen on the square fan guard they went with. Plus like you say it makes it more difficult to mod.

Associate
would have been better if they Made the 120mm fan on top/ front ,Instead of over the graphics card fan .
Next Build I be Doing will be the Upcoming IN-WIN Gaming Cube A1 White with that new Asus B350-i Ryzen Motherboard .

Soldato
OP
Look forward to that build Darren.

I've had a bit more time on the case this week.

In an attempt to improve air flow a little more I decided to cut away some of the fan guard on the rear of the case. While I don't think it will make a massive difference every little helps.

I started by masking off the center section to give me a guide line.

3udKMQj.jpg

Action shot. Tricky to do one handed :)

hfQ9zxj.jpg

With the first section cut out I filed and sanded the edges smooth.

qbFCPXB.jpg

And with the second section cut out. I've left the center section intact to try and retain some rigidity to the IO cut out

Z2LqXpi.jpg

That's all for the time being, works been crazy busy so I've had no motivation/energy to stay on at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, I think this little project is going to take longer than I had anticipated but I've just got hold of a Vive so the upgrade is desperately needed :)

Couldnt you cut it all out? Once the fan is in place it will have the same if not better effect of making that panel rigid?

That's a good point. I'm going to mount a 120mm radiator here too so it should add all the strength back. I'll cut it all out I think.

Soldato
OP
Work was a bit more normal today so I stayed on and got a bit more done.

Cut the rest of the Rear fan guard away like suggested and happy to say its held up fine.

3RNnt7U.jpg

Next up was to drill the side panel mounting holes to accept M4 bolts.

FAvIVQf.jpg

And re-tap the holes to suit.

pJV0FVy.jpg

I ordered a load of black socket cap bolts but didn't realize they would be shouldered

QpnIqby.jpg

So I had to thread them. I just ran them through a die with a cordless drill and plenty of lube. High tensile bolts are tough though!

Ldt2N3a.jpg

Then I cut them to length and de-burred the ends. More action shots :)

9dbBTT5.jpg

All that work "x many many bolts" to get to this stage. It would have been a lot less work to just buy the right length but I've got a job lot of them and it's easy to do.

lnJ5HkV.jpg

And a quick snippet of things to come.

wgENR9k.jpg

More to come soon.

Soldato
OP
I hope so, will definitely be a bit different :)

I did some work on the motherboard tray to help with access to the back of the board, hopefully this will give better access to the cpu bracket and m.2 if ever I need it.

kx2N2gB.jpg

Also stole an idea from Darrens thread about storing as ssd behind the tray so I made a cut out for that and added an ssd support.

MbquRTR.jpg

JlBaSxy.jpg

Not sure if I'll use it but its nice to have the option.

this is how its looking so far.

VDYnkds.jpg

MVXfZhS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom