Project: RAW Chomper

Soldato
First off, yes I'm rubbish at names and "RAW Chomper" is the best I could manage.. :D

Having recently upgraded to a Canon 5Dmk2 I was finding that my current computer was having issues processing RAW images from it, the CPU was maxing out and stuttering all over the place. So, did some maths and worked out I could upgrade without spending too much.

So this is what I'm upgrading from - OCUK Build Log - an Intel Q9550 based ITX box.

It's going to be a fairly straightforward build (I hope). I am going to reuse the PSU, Hard Drives and Graphics card. So the final spec for now will be:

Intel Core i7 2600K / Akasa Venom AK-CCX-4002HP
Gigabyte GA-HA65M-UD3H-B3
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3
OCZ Vertex 60Gb
Samsung F1 1Tb
XFX HD 4650 1GB
LG BD-RE & DVD±RW
Lian Li PC-V354B Black
BeQuiet 480w BN121

The motherboard is only a H61 chipset, mainly for budget reasons. Now I know I have the unlocked 2600k but overclocking at this stage isn't overly important to me, although the Gigabyte manual does have a section in it regarding overclocking in the bios?

Typically while the processor, board and memory all turned up yesterday the case and processor cooler wont arrive until Monday/Tuesday. So while I could start putting bits into the board I won't be able to power on until next week.

Anyway, for now have a box shot..

Box Shot by neilgates, on Flickr

why the hell not? :D

pretty much that :D

seriously though while editing is more processory hungry its a bit of future proofing plus having photoshop, lightroom, IE, a media player, etc open at the same time uses a fair bit of ram. i need to update my LR and PS at some point too so they're only going to use more memory.

case and hsf are out for delivery so hopefully some progress tonight :)

tonights episode..

The V354 is, like all Lian Li's I've owned, a really nice looking and well built case.

The V354 up close by neilgates, on Flickr

It's always nice to be given free fans, and loads of room for hard drives (unless you want to ditch the lower cage for a long GFX card).

Inside peek by neilgates, on Flickr

Even though there are a couple of 2.5" mounts a the bottom of the case I preferred to put mine in the HD cage with a Scythe adapter I had kicking around.

Vertex in 2.5" to 3.5" adapter by neilgates, on Flickr

Both drives mounted up in the upper cage.

Saddled up by neilgates, on Flickr

Not really sure how much cable they expect you to need though..

How much cable?! by neilgates, on Flickr

I did like the adjustable backplate of the Venom, pretty handy and it's certainly well built like its reviews suggest.

Asaka Venom Backplate by neilgates, on Flickr

====================

Venom Backplate part 2 by neilgates, on Flickr

However by this point I'm thinking "hmm this ain't gonna fit.."

Hmm, bit big.. by neilgates, on Flickr

Dry fit 2 by neilgates, on Flickr

And no, not even close.. lol

Not a chance.. by neilgates, on Flickr

At which point I had a bit of a ureka moment. While the Panorama cooler I had in the old desktop was a Rev A so only had 775 socket mounts, the Panorama I have in the HTPC is a Rev B which came with 1155 and 1156 mounts.. did a quick check for alignment..

Alpenfohn Backplate test by neilgates, on Flickr

...and Bob's your relative..

Alpenfohn fitted! by neilgates, on Flickr

==================================

Chuck the fan on it..

Fan added.. by neilgates, on Flickr

Clipped the GPU in and started the cabling. One thing with these SFF cases is the lack of cable runs.

P1020822 by neilgates, on Flickr

PSU sits in really neatly on its padded little stand.

In goes the PSU by neilgates, on Flickr

I put the side back on, put the power in and then it failed to POST.

Will pick this up tomorrow..

sussed it.

motherboard doesnt like 4 sticks of the corsair 16gb kit. only boots with 2 installed at a time in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.

:|

its idling at 27/28c, havent stressed it yet going to have a proper play tonight.

waiting on a mail back from gigabyte regarding memory, they have a compatible list on their site but it references memory that isnt sold any more.

did some load temperature testing tonight..

rough idle temps, i did have a couple things open at the time so +/- a degree maybe

Idle temps by neilgates, on Flickr

loaded at 100% for 20 mins temps levelled out

Loaded temps by neilgates, on Flickr

max of 77c on the cores, not too bad concidering the arctic silver has a bed in period of 200 hours or something so they should drop yet.

well gigabyte arent getting any more business from me. after a week and a half waiting for someone to reply to my support ticket regarding the memory they basically sent me a link to the kingston memory configuration page. great, i dont want to use value RAM thanks so asked them about higher grade stuff from corsair etc. i get back that i should ask them.

useful.

whos a happy bunny.. i am :D

The replacement ASUS P8P67-M Pro by neilgates, on Flickr

Now why didn't I spend the extra £30 on this board to start with?

Mmm blue. by neilgates, on Flickr

Moar memory = win.

Black with a Vengeance... by neilgates, on Flickr

Bolted back on for the 4th time this build?

Alpenfohn Panorama. by neilgates, on Flickr

Still think some SFF case manufactures should consider cable management..

SFF Case - Cable management = Messy. by neilgates, on Flickr

Fortunately it all vanishes pretty well..

As if by magic.. by neilgates, on Flickr

Power supply back in. by neilgates, on Flickr

It's aliiiiiiiiive..

BRUM! by neilgates, on Flickr

And I've got a working 16Gb system :cool:

small update, added the vipers as my last connected to the lian li supplied controller.

also removed the lower HD cage as it wasnt needed, replaced the 4650 with a XFX 5770, the plan being after xmas to uprate the PSU and add a 2nd in x-fire and/or watercool it.

will add up to date photos this weekend.

Throughput is good, it's the main storage at home so can be being accessed for hd movies while also accessing music or editing high res raw photos etc at any one time.

I did toy with the built in DLNA service but my iPad couldnt cope with the Hd files I have over wireless, I did experiment with re encoding a couple and it worked really well but decided to stick with avplayerhd for the iPad and just accessing a share for Vlc player on the htpc

Back
Top Bottom